Good Deal on LP95s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kf4zht

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was in a shop in my parents hometown and asked about tanks, I have been looking at some. I just bought an AL80 but due to some issues with a questionable hydro shop, eddy testing and a really slow LDS I do not know if it will pass a VE test.

The guy in the shop stated that he just got in 2 LP95 tanks on trade in. They are set to be hydro'd, VIPd and O2 cleaned. Said they would be $200 each with valves and boots once they were ready. Is this a good deal?

I was thinking the 95s would be better on bouyance than the al80 plus I plan to go doubles in the future and could use them.

I love my lp95,i've been diving it for ten years.It is definitely more negative than an aluminum 80is.I don't personally dive doubles, but I know that some people do double up lp95's,mostly cave divers I think.The price seems pretty fair so long as they are in decent shape.

$200 including Hydro, vis and O2 cleaned? A bit much for me but it's not bad... Not greatest but if you are desperate it's acceptable.

I was in a shop in my parents hometown and asked about tanks, I have been looking at some. I just bought an AL80 but due to some issues with a questionable hydro shop, eddy testing and a really slow LDS I do not know if it will pass a VE test.

The guy in the shop stated that he just got in 2 LP95 tanks on trade in. They are set to be hydro'd, VIPd and O2 cleaned. Said they would be $200 each with valves and boots once they were ready. Is this a good deal?

I was thinking the 95s would be better on bouyance than the al80 plus I plan to go doubles in the future and could use them.

The LP 95's are very nice tanks, and $200 is a good deal if they're in good shape (not too beat up, pass hydro, haven't been abused with overfills, etc.). In fact, you could easily pay 1/2 that amount just to have the tanks and valves O2 cleaned, hydro'd VIPd and get the valves serviced.

If the shop owner knows the tanks previous owner and how they were handled it's probably a good deal. If they came from Cave Country and spent the last 5 years with a steel plug instead of a burst disk and had 5000 PSI fills you should probably not get them.

Terry

You can get a new Worthington LP95 for $285 shipped, if that helps. I just paid $135 for a Faber 95 with 3 years left on the hydro in excellent shape.

Back
Top Bottom