Good computer in the 300 dollar range (used) for a casual diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Bud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I am an advanced open water diver who has been diving since july 2009. I have 40 logged dives over the past 2 years, lately I have been diving about 2-3 times a month, all in cold water up here in quebec/ontario. I currently dive with an analog spg + depth gauge console and I've decided it was time I get with the times and get a dive computer. What would you guys suggest in the 300$ range (dont mind buying used on here). It doesnt have to have air integration since I have my spg, I just want a wrist mounted computer to track my NDL. Right now I have my eye out for a Suunto D4, what do you guys think? Is this a good choice for me or should I look for something else?

Thanks

I'm 21 so the size of the numbers on the d4 is fine. I looked at the zoop but I really like watch style of the d4 so I can wear it around if I want. Also there is no backlight on the zoop which wont be very nice for night dives. Also I like the dot matrix style LCD a lot more than the block letter style on the zoop and a lot of other computers.

Aladdin 2G. Just got one as a back up and I really like it. It has five levels of conservativeness (not sure if that's a real word but ...) so it's pretty flexible. Can be used for rec up to and including tech/deco diving. Has a decent backlight. Bought a new one at L.P. for around $300. If you get one, definitely get the DSS bungee mount.

veo 2.0 or 3.0...

Suunto D4 or Zoop, both are great!!

The wrist-mounted Suunto Zoop was recently on sale at my local shop (an authorized Suunto dealer) for $225.
The computer is nitrox-capable, easy to read, easy to use, and supports downloading dive profiles to a desktop/laptop computer.
It also has a user-replaceable battery and nice phosphorescent display.
Comes with a warranty if that's important to ya.

Deep Sea Supply makes a nifty bungee elastomeric wrist-mount for it if you don't like the stock Suunto wristwatch-style band.

The Suunto Zoop, and its predecessor the Gekko, are excellent and relatively trouble free computers. They are the ones I most often recommend. But, any of the low end Pelagic (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood) computers are ok too. Of the hundreds of divers I see each year I would guess that at least 80% are "overcomputered".

Oceanic Veo 180 Wrist Computer
Oceanic's trademark ease-of-use, the Veo 180 has all the popular advanced features including Nitrox, Backlight, OceanLog PC Download capability, and audible alarm. Technology has never been easier. Brimming with all the tech and performance features serious divers seek and Oceanic's trademark ease-of-use, the new Veo 180 could not only be your first Personal Dive Computer, but the last you'll ever need.

On sale at Divers Supply for $180.00 until 7/19/11 (I am not affiliated with Divers Supply in any way.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom