Good Bye Old Friend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heh--thank the dive shop where I worked last summer. They had a policy of not filling 6351 so I had to learn exactly which cylinders were and were not 6351.

Just FYI:
Catalina = no 6351
Luxfer before...1989?
All WK and other "manufacturers" of aluminum tanks (usually luxfer with another name slapped on there), especially those before 1989.
(if anyone can confirm or deny this list, chime in)

If I recall correctly there is also a marking on the tank (other than WK or whatever) that indicates 6351. Of course I haven't thought about this in a year so I can't remember...

SparticleBrane:
Heh--thank the dive shop where I worked last summer. They had a policy of not filling 6351 so I had to learn exactly which cylinders were and were not 6351.

Just FYI:
Catalina = no 6351
Luxfer before...1989?
All WK and other "manufacturers" of aluminum tanks (usually luxfer with another name slapped on there), especially those before 1989.
(if anyone can confirm or deny this list, chime in)

If I recall correctly there is also a marking on the tank (other than WK or whatever) that indicates 6351. Of course I haven't thought about this in a year so I can't remember...

Luxfer, Norris, and Walter Kidde used the 6351 alloy between 1972-89. It had a higher lead content and was used because it was more resistant to corrosion. Unfortunately, this alloy also became brittle as it "aged." (COVCI Chris has referred to this alloy as the "sausage" of aluminum alloys!) Since 1986 some of these cylinders have developed cracks, not a desirable thing in a high pressure container. Walter Kidde stopped making cylinders in 89. In recent years most of the 6351s have been retired from service, and that alloy is no longer used to make cylinders.

Re: special markings: When cylinders with this alloy were introduced they had Special Permit or Exempt codes stamped (SP or E 6498 for Luxfer; SP or E 7042 for Walter Kidde). Later they were required to be overstamped as 3AL, but you frequently see these cylinders with only the original SP or E markings. Well... maybe "frequently" isn't the right word... there aren't too many left in service...

Walter:
I love ya, Mike, but I think you've finally cracked.
Is that why people keep sticking these electronic probes in me???

I too have a WK tank and it is a great tank, thank you all very much. If, by chance it develops a crack, it will be retired and made into a lamp. Until then, I will use it. Mostly I keep it in the hanger and we use it to fill the airplane tires. Tanks that were made with the 6351 Al alloy are good tanks if they have a current Viz plus (eddy current test) and a current hydro. There is no reason not to fill them. Any shop that doesn't is uninformed and ignorant (just my humble opinion, I am sure I will get flamed over this one). Also, there is no reason to perform a Vis plus inspection on an aluminum tank that does not have the 6351 alloy. Can't hurt to do one, but don't charge me for it, it isn't necessary.

MB, I feel your pain.

I'd imagine it's hard to fill 6351 tanks at a shop you own when a friend of yours was killed--filled a 6351 tank. Shops that don't fill them aren't "uninformed and ignorant", they're just protective of their employees, themselves, their customers, and their business---all of which would most likely get damanged from an explosion while filling a 6351 tank.

To be honest, your opinion reeks of ignorance. YOU use the tank--and when it's sitting around doing, or being emptied as you're using it, is when it's least likely to explode. It is being stressed the most when it's being filled. If you do the filling, fine, but most likely someone else is filling your tank for you--and that's who is going to catch it, not you.

Why have the risk of someone getting killed from your tank that you refused to get rid of, even with the possibility of SLC?? The things are cheap, just go get a new one and you shouldn't have to worry. :mad:

I love PMs. If more people would use them, things wouldn't get out of control. SparticleBrane and I have resolved this little dissagreement before a moderator became involved. Hopefully he and I will get together one day and have some great dives.

I agree! :) There are too many threads that go from maturity to downright 3rd grade name-calling. Personally, if I'm not involved (which I hopefully never will be) I enjoy watching them, they're actually kinda funny...:wink:

Although, I do hold to what I first said--if the thing has a crack in it then it's DEFINITELY unsafe--and you should bring it down to the scrap yard and profit from its demise. :D
Or...turn it into a trash can? A lamp? Perhaps a doorstop? You might even consider chopping the neck off and donating it to your LDS so they have an example of SLC to show to customers (if you can see the deformation, that is).

MB:
With a bit of sadness I said “Good Bye” to an old friend today. WK has been with me for many years. WK’s diving pedigree started in 1989, has accompanied me on many dive trips, always served his intended function, and never once gave me concern. As he aged, there were many who said that his time had passed, and that it was time to retire. Instead, he increased his check-up schedule, and even started semi-annual exams, just to be safe. Even as my own neck and shoulders age and weaken, and as my many dings begin to take a toll, WK remained true and steadfast. But finally, on the way to the lab for his 5-year comprehensive exam, WK and I had one of “those” chats, and with a tear and a toast, we decided that ol’ WK had lived a full life and that it was time to retire.

What else can you say to a beautiful, clean, crack-free Walter Kidde who has served you well? Aloha amigo, and thanks for the memories!

:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom