Good backup watch with digital compass???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It says 165 feet water resistant....That doesn't give me a comfy feeling. Is it a product that is dive rated for 165 feet or something lesser? I would rather it say water proof to 165 feet

Water resistance is one of those sort of made up things... dive watches start at 20 atm/200m/ 660 ft, because the water resistance test is a new watch, in a static environment.

There are obviously three things one would like to have:

1. Time
2. Depth
3. Compass

Of the three, the low cost one is an add on compass to the band.

However, you can get all three with a Casio or Tissot, with the Tissot being really neat, and really expensive.

After that, the Citizen solar are the best bet.

If you just want time, then getting a very good dive watch, with a great depth rating is just a matter of waiting for a deal. I got a Deep Blue 1000 meter, mechanical watch with stainless steel band/diver wetsuit extension for around $100 this year..

don't know about this specific watch, but I agree that "water resistant" is vague at best. I look for an o-ring sealed screw down case along with a screw down crown as signs that the company has at least considered that the watch might spend considerable time under water and has tried to find ways to keep water out. Otherwise, I figure "resistant" means that if it "accidentally" comes into contact with water i.e. you forgot to take it off when you jumped in and swam down 10' to retrieve your favorite fishing rod, or you get caught in a raging downpour for an hour and you're completely soaked, it will probably be ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom