Goliath in Cave wins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Md Spear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
[video]www.vimeo.com/wadepryor/goliathgrouper[/video] link to 2 min video that won the u/w film festival in Frederick ,Md that was held by the Brass Anchor.
I shot this GG cave scene 14 miles west of Key West on a remote reef structure that is like 2 fingers laying in the sand. the Cave didnt exist before hurricane Wilma. it was a nice undercut, and Wilma cut the cave open thru the coral from side to side. U never know what u will find in this cave , as last summer the baby fish fry were so thick that the cave was filled with school master snappers in a feeding frenzy. this year the Goliath grouper was in there. Lobsters are in the under cut ledges during the summer and in the winter they are on top of the structure trying to get a little warmer water. There is some pillar coral close by, a great remote area.
Shot with a sony nex5n in a nauticam housing using a nikonos 15mm lens. I held the solis 1200 lite on the side to get some light up on the roof of the cave to show off some color.

---------- Post added December 12th, 2012 at 09:21 PM ----------

Last edited:
What a cool dive spot, its nice to see a spearo with his head in conservation as well, seems like common since to me but some just don't get it.

I cant help but to notice that the jew fish i see in the keys and east coast are wayyyyy smaller than the monsters we get over here. My last dive on the sheridan (200 foot tug in 75 feet of water out of pinellas county) i saw the two biggest JF of my life, one was in the pilot house and didn't weigh an oz under 600 lbs. I swear it looked like a freaking camo manatee lol, the other was hanging around under the bow and was a monster too at around 400. Is that a life cycle thing? Yal get the babies and the big boys come up the gulf?

Anyway nice vid and thanks for sharing.

Very nice video...with a good message!!!:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom