Golf ball diving = DANGER!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse:
Sure why not.
The gators where there first. Why should they give up thier home just so some people can go there and bash a few white balls around.

Maybe someone should put a sign saying "Beware Of The 'Gators".
That assumes you know that the gator was there first, and didn't just wander into an attractive little pond out of the 'glades. Not enough info in the news tidbit to say. IMO, a lake in the middle of a golf course should have anything dangerous relocated.

I dove for a few years collecting golf balls in Palm Beach County as a commercial diver. All the golf courses will have gators in them during at least some time of the year. Spring is worse because they go looking for mates and are supposedly more aggressive. Some of the courses I dove had 10 or 30 gators in them.

Often the vis was 1 foot or less and 40 or 50% of the time the water was so dirty that it was impossible to even read your pressure guage. It is a tough way to make a living at 8 cents per ball.

The guy who taught me said that if you see a gator before you get in, try to make sure he sees you. He told me that they will let you know if they want you out of the water. He also explained that it was important to think pleasant and non-threatening thoughts about the gators, since he felt that they could sense your thoughts. He also said that if you begin to feel unusually nervous, for no apparent reason, then pay attention and leave the water.

All the advise was probably BS, but it gave you something to think about when spending 4 hours per day, underwater, in the dark, running around with snow boots (no fins), ankle weights and 25 to 50 lbs of lead which varied depending on the exposure suit.

In the winter, the shallow ponds could drop into the upper 40's and in the late summer the water was in the 90's and unbearably hot, especially since you had to wear a hood to keep the critters outta your ears. Actually I don't miss it. On good days I would pull over 400 lbs of balls from a single course.

dumpsterDiver:
I dove for a few years collecting golf balls in Palm Beach County as a commercial diver. All the golf courses will have gators in them during at least some time of the year. Spring is worse because they go looking for mates and are supposedly more aggressive. Some of the courses I dove had 10 or 30 gators in them.

Often the vis was 1 foot or less and 40 or 50% of the time the water was so dirty that it was impossible to even read your pressure guage. It is a tough way to make a living at 8 cents per ball.

gulp! no thank you.

News flash: An Alligator wandered onto a Florida home owners back porch while the home owner was relaxing with his favorite beverage. Startled, the home owner picked up a golf club and bashed the Gator over the head leaving a gash. The Gator ran off to seek refuge. The Florida home owner now sits on death row. Film at eleven.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom