GoldCore or hyperstretch??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rti1000

Reaction score
Ok i've decided to return my .5mm microprene that didn't fit and i think i settled on a 7mm henderson suit.... I live in Maryland and i get cold pretty easy so i was hoping that the 7mm would keep me nice and toasty in the quarries and the bay up here. does anyone have opinions on the advantages of hyperstretch and Goldcore.. this will be my first wetsuit and i figure for the mean time i'll be doing most of my diving up here in quarries or out looking for oysters until i can afford a nice tropical vacation :>P
any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated

Andy=-)
Blue Skies!!

There has been a lot of discussion on the topic here, try the [search] button and enter hyperstretch or goldcore and you'll get more than you can handle...

Quick summary (as I read it) is that both are good suits. Goldcore tends to be a little warmer (less water movement, and quicker drying between dives suggested) and Hyperstretch more comfortable, but you need to be careful about abrasion.

I can't add anything of additional value beyond what is already there.

Goldcore for warmth, Hyperstretch for ease of donning & doffing. If the GC fits you good, that would probably be better in the quarries, especially where folks are diving dry for comfort.

Sorry for the interruption...as a follow up to the original post, I just got my henderson gold delivered this afternoon. I usually dive the tropics with a 3mm suit but since I will be taking my advanced open in a few weeks in a quarry in PA, I decided to purchase my first 7mm wetsuit. Strange, but it's the same size as my 3mm suit but with the 7mm I could hardly bend my arms nor my knees. Is this normal because it's new or because it's 7mm and stiff and therefore I need to get used to it?? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dan

Yes there is a huge difference between a 3mm suit and a 7mm one.
7mm suits tend to feel pretty restrictive out of the water.

I've been diving a GoldCore 7mm farmer john for about year. It's a good suit and has held up pretty good. I've had to patch a couple times with Aquaseal but other than that it's been fine. I've done a couple dives in Lake Superior in 38 degree water too. That's pushing it a little though...I was cold. It keeps me comfortable in water down to the mid-40's if I'm not too deep where wetsuit compression becomes a bigger factor.

I own both Gold Core and Hyperstretch suits. I find that the hypserstretch suits are easier to put on, more comfortable throughout the dive, and somewhat warmer than the Gold Core as well.

Brand new Gold Core suits glide on and off easily, but as they age, the gold core inside starts to get very sticky when it gets wet, and makes it harder to put back on between dives.

Wet or dry, the Hyperstretch suits come on and off easily, and due to the stretch, they fit like a glove with no pockets around body curves.

Hands down, Henderson makes the best suits in the industry.

--Rick

How do they really compare in the warmth department???
My understanding has been that the gold core added significant warmth; but Wiseguy, you seem to feel otherwise? I've been thinking you'd need a 7/5 hyperstretch to get approximately the same warmth as a 5 gold core? Or if both were 7/5, the gold would be noticeably warmer?

I can definately see where the gold would be really tough to get on if wet or damp. I've struggled just getting it off in the store! Thanks all! :rfish:

In general:

50 to 70 degrees F: I use the Goldcore 7/5 mil
70 to 80 degrees F: I use the Hyperstrech 3 mil
80 degrees and up: I use a ScubaPro .5 mil

Assuming an "off the rack" body, I believe that Goldcore is warmer than Hyperstretch because it compresses less, and the "goldcore lining" acts as a seal that prevents water transfer.

For a "non-standard" body, a snug Hyperstretch might be warmer than an ill-fitting Goldcore simply due to reduced water transfer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom