Gold Core vs. Hyperstretch - continuing saga...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the latest Rodales issue Bare has an ad for a colder condition suit - shown was a 7mm that incorporates features from their warm water Velocity suit. My impression is it uses their version of hyperstretch called hydrostretch laminated to their version of gold core called glideskin which I feel is similar to gold core but silver and not quite as smooth imho... Mebbe this is the best of both worlds! :wink:

In an 82 degree pool I froze my butt off wearing a 3 mm hyperstretch suit. The $@#* thing fits my torso but it apparently is too big in the legs. I slide right in when I put the suit on and I thought the fit was OK.. But once I get into the water I have all this water in my legs. Yesterday before I got in the pool I noticed that I could grab handfuls of neoprene around my thighs. I didn't notice that in the dressing room. Do the $@#* things stretch? My .5 mm skin keeps me warmer.

raviepoo once bubbled...
Yesterday before I got in the pool I noticed that I could grab handfuls of neoprene around my thighs. I didn't notice that in the dressing room.

In cold water diver vernacular this is known as the "Shar-Pei" suite.:jester:

Favored by LDS owners who REALLY want to sell that suite!

I find Henderson fits me quite well- I find that I'm a bit bigger than the large on the sizing chart 'cept for the height where I am actually 3" shorter but overall it fits me well. I bought XL once just because I hated the tighter feel of thick 7mm - with an OK torso fit, the butt and legs were definitely too loose... try a size smaller or custom tailoring. The flushing of water in and outta the suit is gonna chill you!

I guess your buddy will have lots to grab on to in a runawway ascent :jester:

I've come to that conclusion. I'm going to try wearing a tight lycra skin on top of the wetsuit in the pool tonight, to see if it squishes in the loose bits. If I'm not toasy I have two stops to make:

1 - Hoboken divers to try on a Bare Velocity (Bare claims that the stretch panels make this suit fit all sorts of bodies)

2 - EBAY to list a size 12 hyperstretch 3 mm.

I hope the Bare suit fits. It it doesn't I'm stuck going custom - not a good option for someone whos weight tends to fluctuate.

squidguy once bubbled...
The flushing of water in and outta the suit is gonna chill you!

:jester:

A friend and I just purchased two wetsuits from Carolyn at Liquid Fit. They have a website for the phone number. She was very helpful with our fitting and sizing. My friend is a big guy and she suggested he get the superstretch fabric. I chose the platinum fabric. He has his suit on ten minutes before I am able to squeeze into the Platinum suit. Though I like the suit once it is on, I wish I had opted for zippers in the sleeves. Carolyn is very helpful and will spend time answering all your questions. Her suits are beautiful. If you call her, please tell her the guys from Utah sent you.

whatever suit you have...if it doesn't fir snugly (not tight enough to choke you ) it will not be as warm....I have a Goldcore Hyperstretch which although is a little long fits great. I am warmer than my 7 mil Farmer John and shorty. BTW Idive in water from 33 f and up...I am warm in the goldcore. The purpose of the goldcore is to cling to your skin to stop the flow of water up and down the suit. Nothing more nothing less.:boom:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom