Gold Core vs. Hyperstretch - continuing saga...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snobeach

Reaction score
OK, my understanding has been that gold core is warmer; skin seal and all. However, last week my LDS contradicted this view, but I just shrugged it off as an "uneducated new guy" thing. Today, I called Liesure Pro to ask a Q, and they said the same thing! What's up???
Aren't we making the choice here between ultimate comfort and increased warmth? Have my impressions been all wrong? Those of you which have used both should know, and it still seems overall that most of you think gc is warmer...why are the shops then putting out the opposite info? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

I personally haven't used either, although I would like to try the Henderson wet suits. I've heard only good things about them.

Here's an uneducated guess: Maybe the Hyperstretch is being toted as being warmer because, on average, the fit is better (tighter), effectively making a better seal?

Just a guess.

The "Gold Core" or neoskin is a much warmer suit. The reason that it is, is that the material quite literally seals with your skin.
Think of it being like te suction cup that you put on a window to attach things. It is also much warmer because, very little if any water will penetrate to you. When you come back from a dive, all you have are little beads of water on the lining. In most enviroments, the suit will be dry in 10-15 minutes. Now, it does have a down side. The material is very prone to tears and seam separation. Don't get this suit if you are rough on your gear. Also, it is not for the diver whose weight tends to flucuate.

The hyper-stretch is much more forgiving. A good hyper-stretch suit will have a 4 way stretch. It is going to be warm because, in many cases you are getting a better fit.

That said, I have both......love both of them.

I called the guy at Liesure Pro back to have him clarify - He buys in to the notion that the titanium makes the Hyperstretch warmer than the GC. I understood this to be hype? Scubacbt sounds like he has a good handle on these suits and the valid personal experience to back it up. I'll continue to put my faith in the opinions expressed here!

My understanding is the titanium makes this suit maintain its ability to keep you warm. The suit just does not FEEL like it would keep you warm.. it is extremely light, and very stretchy.
You can stretch it flat as a credit card (ok.... a bit of exaggeration), but you get the point....

I don't know how the suit does it.... but it DOES keep me warm.
I dive in 50-60+ degree water.

I think the fact that it really clings, does not allow water to "pump", AND the titanium make the suit perform.

Pardon my french, but titanium lining in a suit does not add to the warmth of the suit. This was a marketing pitch from several years ago. The theory being that titanium is a conductor of heat. You are going to pay upwards to a $100 more for a suit that has a titanium lining. More important when purchasing a suit is how well does the suit fit. Make sure that there are no areas where a handfull of neoprene can be grabbed. If you can, you are going to be pumping water through that suit.

You did not say where you are diving???? If it is mainly tropical diving, I will always chose my Hyperstretch suit. If I need to stay warm, I wear my "neoskin suit" I have two pieces for this suit.....a full suit and a sleeveless step-in, that I wear over it Also, if you are doing repetitive diving, it is always nice to get back into a dry suit......this is a great plus for the gold core.

Happy shopping. I hope you find the suit that is just right for you.

FWIW, I have a Gold Core and it is pretty warm. It does split at the seams (on the inside - not on the outside, which is sewn) and I fix it with aquaseal...no big deal really. It can be a pain to get on, especially when wet, as the lining tends to stick to you like someone mentioned in a previous post.

The hyperstretch is very forgiving if you are overweight...it is extremely stretchy and can fit a wider range of body types. I know a number of heavy divers that swear by it. I have heard it is less durable than the GC suit, but I have no concrete evidence of this...only what I have heard..

Yes the Hyperstrech is easily damaged. It does not appear to be a long lasting suit. Just sitting on the deck of a boat, etc., will leave its mark.
You need to be very careful with this suit. But I have found it to be as warm as my other 7mil suits.

I hope the Gold Core is warmer, I just shelled out a lot of dinero for one. I did mucho research, and I came to the conclusion that the gold core would be best suited for a thinner guy like me. The hyperstretch seams to be a favorite for those larger in diameter, but this is only a conclusion I am drawing from the gazillion posts I've read. Not from experience (which I have little of).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom