Going to Hawai'i, need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmader

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a plane ticket booked for Hawaii in mid March I do not have any reservations at this point. I am looking for some advice on scuba locations and accommodations. I am leaning towards Maui and Lanai. I was thinking of showing up without reservations and hoping to strike a deal. I did this once before in Oahu and it worked out great but I am a little concerned about it in Maui. Has anyone tried this? I am also look online for info on Shore diving I see lots of info on great places to dive but not much on the how too's. Can anyone give me any advice on getting setup with air tanks and weights, what shore diving costs and any local rules I might need to now.

Any help would be appreciated

I don't know what it will be like in March, but I was amazed to get three spots on an extremely popular charter boat on 12 hours notice during our trip last week. We did not get a discount, but on prior trips, we've been unable to get ONTO this boat, even trying to book several weeks in advance. Travel is way down on Maui.

Shore diving is very easy, and is most of what we do. A lot of shops will rent tanks and weights -- We use B&B Scuba, and they're wonderful to us. I don't know what you will pay for fills, but my guess is it's no more than $10 a tank. B&B is open from 8am to 6pm, which makes it pretty easy to pick up tanks in the morning, do a couple of shore dives, and get them back that afternoon.

You are supposed to use a dive flag for any shore diving there, although we rarely do and have never been bothered about it.

You might check out www.alohashorediving.com for information on dive sites -- I think Tim has some information there about entries and exits and directions and such. Two of my favorites are the Mala Wharf dive, which is up by Lahaina, and Ulua Beach, which is in the Kihei area. Both have bathrooms and showers, and both are shallow, pleasant dives with lots to see.

cmader, when i travel I check out their local forum and gain alot of great insider info...
Check out:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/
There is plenty of opportunities to get on a boat or shore dive. As for guided shore dives in Maui check out shakadoug, kidspot, or KrisB All from the board here. Enjoy!

Keep in mind that mid-March is coming up on spring break time and that the popular charters may be already booked or booking up (depending on how busy it is this year) before your arrival. Right now it's slow but I wouldn't count on it then. Also, check on the car rental situation on Maui, here in Kona they're tough to get last minute, even in the slow times. I'm not sure if the companies shift them between busier cities or just let their fleet sizes shrink when things slow down but some people have been surprised here lately.

Last edited:
If you're looking for lodging, I've been checking Kona the 2nd half of March and finding lots of availability, and Maui is loaded with vacation rental properties. As far as bargaining, I've never waited until getting there - condos are better deals in my opinion and I don't think it would be efficient locating them from the car. Maybe there's a hidden piece of the market that can be found cheaply this way - let us know if you try that - but it's far easier to check online for who's needing a tenant at the last moment. You can always ask for a discount when booking in advance - it looks like it's a buyer's market.

By the way, there's lots of good shore diving on Maui, but it's way better on Kona I think.

Just got back from Maui and the diving is great! I too dove with B&B Scuba in Kihie and they are fantastic. Tank rental was $3.50 per tank, however I did 4 boat dives with them. I did several shore dives but the one that stands out the most is the Mala Boat Ramp near Lahiana. Absolutely fantastic. Shallow dive with lots to see. White tip sharks, turtles, frog fish and octopus, I saw it all there. B&B Scuba is the place to go.

I will be on Maui mid-March. I find that rentals are cheap compared to Seattle. Try Maui Dive Shop. There are many boat dive trips, all around $130 for a 2 tank trip. I am booked for one boat dive and am looking for a buddy for some shore dives on the West side of Maui. I am landing on the 18th and leaving on the 25th.

I would concur about checking out Maui Dive Shop. They do a great job, but I usually go there around New Years. Ironically, I will be there March 20-28 as well. McKenna beach is a great shore dive that I have done several times. There are lots of turtles, frog fish, octopus, and white tips hang out in the numerous small caves. I know of another great spot on Maui called the "Fish Bowl" but it is in the preserve, where one cannot hire a commercial divemaster to go. Until I find a dive partner on the island, snorkeling it is the only option. The Molokini backwall is a great dive via Maui Divers, as is Turtle Town. I will be trying a Manta Ray night dive and the maybe the Cathedrals on this next trip. I haven't had a chance to dive the north shore as it is usually rough and storm ridden in the winter. The island is saddle shaped with a 900'+ rise in the middle, so one has to take a day off to switch between the north shore vs. the west and south shores.

I have also been to Oahu in October. Dive the Corsair if you get a chance. There are lots of nice reef there as well like at Koko Craters, but none that stand out in my mind like the Corsair.

The Big Island has some interesting Arches you can dive through. I have been to the Big Arch and the Golden Arches off Kona. There is a lot of wild structure and young reefs due to the new volcanism out there.

Write me back. If you decide on Maui and our trips overlap, maybe we can dive the fish bowl together. Let me know if you find a new cool dive site. I haven't dove a fraction of the possibilities in the islands. I have just attained a divemaster rating and help with pool training in the winter between trips.

The main (only) thing I send visitors to Maui Dive Shop for is their Maui Dive and Snorkel Guide (free). Don't have one in front of me but Makena Beach (aka Big Beach) is not a dive site in most minds. Makena Landing is a popular South Side dive site that can also be considered as 5-Caves, 5-Graves, Turtle Town or Nahuna Point.

Even if there was a 900' saddle on Maui (not!) there would be no need to take a day off to go to the North Shore (2000' according to DAN). Since it's your first post I will leave the other corrections to someone else.

Welcome to SB :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom