Going to Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iowachic

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to Cancun for Feb 8 - 11. A short trip. But I want to do at least one dive. I have been reading that Cozumel is so great and people recommend you don't bother to dive in Cancun. Please tell me there is one good place to dive in Cancun. :ignore: I am hoping to relax one day and dive one day.
So any suggestions on where to dive and what company to use? So far it looks like Manta is the best company. I have never done a wreck dive. Would it be worth the trip to the wreck? :newbie:
I have only dove in St. Thomas- lived there a year. And from my more advanced dive friends - it's some of the worst diving- so if that is all I have to compare Cancun to I may be okay. Since I loved diving there. It wasn't vivid in color but I was a novice and easily amused. :scubadive

iowachic:
I am going to Cancun for Feb 8 - 11. A short trip. But I want to do at least one dive. I have been reading that Cozumel is so great and people recommend you don't bother to dive in Cancun. Please tell me there is one good place to dive in Cancun. :ignore: I am hoping to relax one day and dive one day.

If you're pressed for time don't pass up the diving in Cancun. There are a number of very nice reef sites off Punta Cancun (northeast end of beach). Typically the dives are between 45-60' unless you want to dive one of the minesweepers (sisters to the one off Coz I believe). They're in the 70-75' range at the sand. This area almost has some current but it's not ripping, just enuf for a pleasant drift dive. The ops drop you off (hopefully upcurrent) and leave you to drift. Most if not all of the ops send you off in guided groups of up to 6 or 7 using al80's. They allow 35-40 minutes per tank. My favourite is a two tank dive leaving at 8 AM with a ride thru the lagoon then out onto the big water between Isla Mujeres and Cancun's beach. Then a boat ride along the beach to the reefs or wrecks, 20-30 minutes depending on which marina you go out of.

The viz is generally quite good with lots of fishies. I almost always see a nurse shark or three, and lots of big Stingrays and Barracuda (and of course Parrotfish and Groupers). Not too many turtles but they do show up now and then. It's nice reef diving, not quite Coz, but it beats the pants off the quarries here at home.

JohnF

I appreciate the encouring words. I will try a wreck dive. For the first time. I am in love with night dives and would like to try and get in one of those. We'll see.
I guess next time I should work in the Cozumel portion. The deal I got was so good I couldn't pass it up. I got 2 tickets/hotel for $1000. And as you know from where we are up north. It's too cold here. And the diving is not my style.

Thanks so much for the help.

I am going to attempt to link you to a similar question I asked in the Greater Carribbean Basin" part of the travel forums. If this link doesn't work look for a post by me called "Diving in Cancun?"

There were some good tips/suggestions you may want to read.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t45331.html

Turtles,octopus, nurse shark, southern sting rays, angel fish and schools of all sorts of others all seen here in Puerto Morelos yesterday - only 30 mins on bus from Cancun. Small town, small groups, beautiful reef - reef dive - wreck dive and relaxed night diving - all with experienced English speaking dive masters. Have fun

Will you email me at my work email to let me know about costs of dives?
How to get to your shop from Coasta Real hotel in Cancun?
and would my no diving friend want to come along with me to spend the day?
Could we hit some fun and interesting sites on the way there. Then could I do a late day dive and a night dive? See any wrecks? And head back.
Or should I ditch him at the hotel to hangout all day. Do his own thing. and I venture in for the dive experience on my own?

elizabeth.reynolds@irwinmortgage.com
THANKS

Could you reveal your source of such nicely priced tickets please?

iowachic:
I appreciate the encouring words. I will try a wreck dive. For the first time. I am in love with night dives and would like to try and get in one of those. We'll see.
I guess next time I should work in the Cozumel portion. The deal I got was so good I couldn't pass it up. I got 2 tickets/hotel for $1000. And as you know from where we are up north. It's too cold here. And the diving is not my style.

Thanks so much for the help.

We have several options that will keep you both happy, none of them involve sleeping! I will send all details to your mail
Dive Puerto Morelos

catbrown:
We have several options that will keep you both happy, none of them involve sleeping! I will send all details to your mail
Dive Puerto Morelos

Can you send them to me too please? drsteve1971@hotmail.com
Thanks

DrSteve:
Could you reveal your source of such nicely priced tickets please?

I searched the net like crazy for 2 weeks. I had a really flexible timeframe. We both had the entire week off. Found that flying sunday to wed was a great deal. Better then thr to monday.

I found the hotel deal at Sunglyph. www.sunglyph.com
$298 for 4 days. The tour group was BEST DAY travel. The hotel Costa Real Resorts was fully booked. They are trying really hard to make some improvements. But I found the stay -okay- it's definitly a 3 star place. But once their construction of the spa is done it will be a 5 star. The staff is really nice. And the entertainment group tried really hard to do fun and interesting things. the location was perfect I thought. Not too close to the busy middle of the Hotel Zone. But close enough. The beach was okay. Not spectacular. But for the price I was VERY pleased.

The flight was through MSP Travel Group. They are based out of Mpls. Their website had great deals listed. We got Flight - non-stop- for 2 and transfers to the hotel for $600. I added a fishing trip for 2 for another $200.

I really searched hard and kept looking at all dates that were listed as good deals.

I meet some people who have stayed at that resort for 3 years now and they found a deal from Michigan of $978 for 7 days including everything- all inclusive and flight. That was a GREAT deal.

I had a marvelous time. I dove with Aguaworld. Against most people's recommendations. They said try Manta Divers. But it didn't work into my schedule to go with them. I was fortunate. There were only 9 on the boat and 3 dive masters. So we were in groups of 3. I did a wreck and a reef. It was my first wreck and it was amazing. there was a school of at least 12 eagle rays hanging out around the boat and they were huge. Saw lots of neat fish. The current though makes just floating around a bit tough. And the above water conditions made me very sea sick. No feeding the fish- but I was pale and shaky. I felt the same way when we were deep sea fishing. I felt like a novice water girl. Which I am not. I worked on a tourism boat for 6 months in St. Thomas. But the water conditions are much more calm there.

Had a GREAT time and saw some amazing stuff both underwater and above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom