Going to Bonaire in Sept - need info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been there 5x, trip 6 this fall.

I take some USD and then get guilders from the ATM to use on island - easier to deal with in the grocery store. There is an ATM next to Chat n Browse (close to the traffic circle - Den Laman/Sand Dollar) and one in the centre of town across from Papagayo Restaurant.

There are some sites that require you to walk through rocks/coral, but there are many that are a VERY easy entry. Depending on where you are staying, you can dive right from the dock. Just check out the entry before you gear up and you'll be fine.

There is a book called Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy that describes most, if not all the sites. You should be able to buy it from the dive shop you are using. It is cheap and a nice souvenir if you jot down notes about the dive.

I use hard soled wet suit dive boots and would not use anything else.

All restaurants are "good", "great" or "so so" depending on who you ask. Best advice, if you see someplace you want to try - just do it. Everyone has their favourite. The fun thing about Bonaire is the variety. If you are going to dinner as a large group you may want to reserve in advance.

You've probably read the warnings about not leaving anything in your truck. Take your truck key, room key and some cash in a small box and keep it inside your wetsuit. If you put it in your BCD pocket be sure that it is tied on.

If you arrive at a dive site and there are several trucks already there don't worry, by the time you suit up divers will be exiting. If it really bugs you just drive down the road a bit to another site.

Finally, the best advice I can offer is to just have a great time. Bonaire really is that easy. The first day or two you may feel a bit out of place wondering where to go, but you'll get the hang of it.

Yea, the 75’ is an exaggeration, I would say it’s more like 150’ J
There are some easy “dock” entries, but all the shore entries that I made had some degree of difficulty. I used relatively soft sole low top booties with my last trip, but if I get a chance I like to get something a little harder.

My dive group is going to Bonaire next month and we need some pointers from those who've been before.

Any tips on currency exchange? Do it before or after you're on-island, etc.

I've been told that you have to crawl over 75' of sharp volcanic rock to get in the water at every dive site. Surely that's an exaggeration....right? :)

Good places to eat? We all like to sample the local cuisine when we're away so we don't need directions to the local 'American food' restaurant. Any suggestions?

General do's and don'ts from the experienced? :D

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Good local food:
Maiky Snack, Mi Banana, Rose Inn

Other great food options:
Plazita Limena, Pasa Bon Pizza, Bobbe Jans, El Fagoen

Some "do's" and misc. tips ...
Get a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy at Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter
Boots with soles will make your life easier.
Leave nothing of value in your truck.
Fill empty large soda bottles with water and leave in truck for a quick rinse.
If your group is dining together, call ahead for reservations.
In Bonaire restaurants you will not be given your check without requesting it.
Smaller "snacks" (local restaurants) may not accept US bills larger than a 20.
Many restaurants close in September for holiday.

A very big "Don't": Do not wear a wetsuit into restaurants, grocery stores or walking in town.

"Crawl" and "75 feet" is a so no true!!! Enjoy.

HAHA! I love the advice about not wearing your wetsuit into the restaurant. :D

I'm sure, like using a hair dryer in the bathtub, someone has done this before!

Brett

I really appreciate the response. I usually take people's opinions with a grain of salt unless the vast majority say the same thing. I'm definitely looking forward to the trip and will, as always, keep an open mind and be mindful of all your suggestions.

I'll report in when we get back. Thanks again!

Brett

We just spent dollars the week we were there. Change was in ang$ but we gave most of it back at the airport giftshop buying Diver's Paradise license plates - paying the departure tax took the rest.

Good places to eat: Casablanca, Bobbe Jans takeout, Zee Zicht, Donna/Giorgio's Pizza. Not sure about D&G now as I just read it's for sale.

Places I'd skip next time - Rumrunners at Capt' Don's and City Grille. Although CG is a good place to hangout w/other divers, I thought the food was just average. Service was awful at RR, even by Bonaire standards.

btw, servers generally won't bring your check until asked, they consider you their guests, so you're welcome to sit there as long as you'd like.

It Rains Fishes was a nice - but pricey - last meal. Nice views of the water from town.

There's a small sandwich shop (blue building) across the street from Plaza Resort's entrance, we ate there twice between dives. We saw someone getting a couple sandwiches to go also, they looked like divers.

Plaza does a Beach BBQ on Tuesday? night that was a good time - food was good also as I recall.

Just another ... use hard soled booties.... I used soft soled ones and had a nasty bruise on my foot from stepping on the coral... You just can't step lightly with all of our gear on...

Also... Stop into the Carib Inn for them... they were at least 1/3rd less than buying them at my Local Dive Op...

Paradise Moon by the Harbor.. has amazing Fajita Salads.. great prices and really friendly service..

No need to do a currency exchange.. everywhere we went accepts US dollars and a lot of places had prices clearly marked in US...

Also...
Julios
Cactus Blue (a bit pricey: it's worth it for "last night on the Island", though)
Pick up stuff from the supermarket (Cultimara) for staples like cheese & bread

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom