going through GCM to Little Cayman on a Saturday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing is, the vast majority of visitors to Cayman spend their entire time on Grand Cayman. They arrive, they vacation, and they depart, and the airport services are set up to move these GC visitors through the entry and exit procedures as quickly as possible.

When someone is deviating from the usual process because they are stopping on GC on their way to travel to another country, like Cuba or Honduras - or just hopping over to one of the sister islands of Brac or Little - they don't fit into the usual procedure, but out of habit the airport staff just keep trying to move them into their typical incoming and outgoing processes for the GC-only visitors.

Don't let them do that to you, be polite but firm and clear - you don't want to waste time either coming or going. It's annoying and you risk missing your connections.

@Scoooter961 where are you staying on Little Cayman?

Last edited:
Kathy,
As of my trip to LC last month, the GC terminal has a new game. One exits customs to right, go outside and across the street. Turn left; then follow the sidewalk past the outdoor tented snack bar, until opposite the entrance, then back across the street into the terminal and to the Cayman Airways (or other airline) counter. Then, after checking in, go left through the faux hallway to security.

Kathy,
As of my trip to LC last month, the GC terminal has a new game. One exits customs to right, go outside and across the street. Turn left; then follow the sidewalk past the outdoor tented snack bar, until opposite the entrance, then back across the street into the terminal and to the Cayman Airways (or other airline) counter. Then, after checking in, go left through the faux hallway to security.

Oh good grief, it sounds even more difficult! Can you at least take the wheeled luggage carts from Customs with you on this trek?

Last edited:
Kathy,

I was in Grand Cayman two weeks ago and flew on to Brac. The airport experience is a royal PITA. I won't be going back until the airport upgrade is complete and debugged.

I was in Grand Cayman two weeks ago and flew on to Brac. The airport experience is a royal PITA. I won't be going back until the airport upgrade is complete and debugged.

Something that we have found to make the GCM airport experience much more pleasant is to take the free shuttle over to the George Town Yacht Club for a nice meal in a beautiful location, see the link below.

After we have checked in for our flights and have gotten rid of our bags we walk outside and shuttle is usually there waiting for us - the GTYC is only about 3 minutes away and they start running the shuttle in the early morning on Saturday and Sunday; I don't know if it is available on weekdays.

Of course it is only a viable option when you have enough time before your flight, but the GTYC is much nicer and the food is far better than sitting in that Hungry Horse tent in the parking lot - or jamming into the departure lounge - although now that the new Departure lounge will be (partially) open, things may get better, let's hope so!

Home

Last edited:
Oh good grief, it sounds even more difficult! Can you at least take the wheeled luggage carts from Customs with you on this trek?

I took one of the carts on the hike. Some of the employees did not look particularly happy, but no one said anything. Be careful, as you have to cross the street twice. Hopefully, they will have a better (and safer) route soon.

Thanks again. We should be able to get an earlier twin otter flight on the way back to give us more time.

Not a Saturday arrival but we arrived on Sunday April 29 and had 90 mins to get to our LC flight. I think the entire process took us maybe 30 mins from getting off the plane until back in the departure terminal. The flights on Sunday seem appropriately spaced. One caveat, we fly carry on and [are crazy insane people who] rent gear so we skipped any bag waiting process.

We did have to go across the street and back around to the terminal as was described above. It was marked and we chalked it up to the price of progress and just adding to the experience. I could see it being more painful with larger bags or getting stuck behind people who were struggling as the sidewalk isn’t wide enough to pass.

The trip to LC was uneventful as the plane was half empty. The flight from LC to CB was full, but once you take off, blink and you’re landing in CB. We are back to GC on Wednesday so we’ll see what progress has been made. We’ll try out Kathy’s great tips on getting around the lines once to GC. Perhaps they only have one process given construction? We fly back Friday so hoping to get to see the new terminal.

Not a Saturday arrival but we arrived on Sunday April 29 and had 90 mins to get to our LC flight. I think the entire process took us maybe 30 mins from getting off the plane until back in the departure terminal. The flights on Sunday seem appropriately spaced. One caveat, we fly carry on and [are crazy insane people who] rent gear so we skipped any bag waiting process.

We did have to go across the street and back around to the terminal as was described above. It was marked and we chalked it up to the price of progress and just adding to the experience. I could see it being more painful with larger bags or getting stuck behind people who were struggling as the sidewalk isn’t wide enough to pass.

The trip to LC was uneventful as the plane was half empty. The flight from LC to CB was full, but once you take off, blink and you’re landing in CB. We are back to GC on Wednesday so we’ll see what progress has been made. We’ll try out Kathy’s great tips on getting around the lines once to GC. Perhaps they only have one process given construction? We fly back Friday so hoping to get to see the new terminal.

Thanks for the update, how do you like the sister islands so far? I am a little confused by your comment about the flight from LC to CB - it usually goes GC to CB to LC if the flight is stopping on both islands. Or are you splitting your time between the LC and CB? Sorry, you probably shared your plans in the past but I don't remember. Have a great time for the rest of your trip!

I believe there is a late afternoon flight that goes GC-LC-CB on the twin otter. We have been on it several times and always felt sorry for the folks that didn't get to get off and stay on LC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom