Going on Explorer II to Turks & Caicos on May 24th, have you went by yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Pretty excited, my first time on a liveaboard. Evidently scuba gear will be 95% of my luggage. Any hints of what to bring that is not scuba related? Now have to wait only 3.5 months. :coffee:

Though, I have a concern that because I am going alone, I might get bored between the dives. As I understand, most people arrive with buddies. Would you know how sociable people are on liveaboards? Do they strictly stick to their own group or everyone hangouts together?

Last edited:
People are very sociable on a liveaboard. In several cases I've stayed in contact with people I've met for future trips.

Some group will likely "adopt" you almost immediately. We had 3 single divers on the same boat, by the end of the trip everyone went to dinner together. It's really hard not to meet/talk to people on a 120' boat. I don't even know where you'd go to get away except your cabin.

You eat all your meals together - there's just enough table space for 20 (boat capacity) at one seating. You'll all also either hang out on the sundeck or the flybridge between dives. (they frown on wet gear on the carpet/couches in the lounge) A group of about 6 of us always did our SI's on the flybridge since it's shaded. They also stock alcohol up there for after diving.

You'll also be paired up with a buddy. And unless you're paying the single supplement, likely sharing a cabin. My regular buddy and I often wound up often eating with different people - and sometimes diving with them. We also dove in groups of 2,3,4 and once 8. Everything is pretty informal on that boat.

It would be hard not to make friends on a liveaboard. Everybody usually talks diving thru dinner and shows off pictures/video afterwards. Many divers do go to sleep early since 4-5 dives/day is tiring.

Although on our T/C Explorer trip, we had a small group of about 6 that stayed up late nightly - I was one of them. I usually make friends with at least one member of the crew also. Last trip it was one of the DM's, previous trip the backup captain. So late one night I got to drive the boat since I'm an insomniac.

It's a nice boat, you picked a good one for your first trip. The crew is helpful and friendly and the diving is excellent, especially at French Cay and West Caicos. Every single dive at French Cay we dove with sharks - one dive I almost dropped in on top of one. Since generally only they and Aggressor go out there (except occasional dayboats from Provo) it's pretty pristine diving. Plan to be ignored by dozens of Stingrays - I was.

You might be interested in this also: http://www.awoosh.com/Saudio/Saudio_Turks&Caicos.html - we saw everything Mike did except the dolphins.

WiFi works at the dock if needed.

Last edited:
Lonely? No chance. Bored? Only if you do not want to talk about scuba diving...

A live aboard is small, there is no place to hide. Surface intervals are generally spent chatting with other divers (except for the optional afternoon nap)? You all have one thing in common.

You will get to know all of the people on your side of the dive deck as you gear up in the same area.
Your room mate may or may not become your dive buddy. You are free to choose and swap during the week. Dive "groups" often change as many people sit out 1 or 2 dives each day.

One key to "variation" is to arrive for meals a little early and sit at a different table each time. Many people form the odd habit of sitting at the same place every meal. Switching allows you to meet everyone.

And of you are a little shy about starting conversations, just ask
- so where have you been diving?
- tell me about your camera
- what did you see lat dive
it may be hard to get them to stop talking.

What giffenk said. If you do all the dives, write in your log, eat and "debrief" (aka BS) between dives, you will have little time to worry about.

I've went on several trips alone and some people do group up and tend to sit together and it can be more difficult to get in there but usually some people in the group are open. Unfortunately, sometimes you can get pushed toward the "less desirable" people (there's not anything wrong with them but maybe they speak a different language and people aren't comfortable with being with them the whole time) if tables are full, but as said, I go a bit earlier and sit in different places even if it displaces one of their group. Heck, you're not hurting anything that can't be fixed. As long as you don't displace them every day, most people are happy to mix. Just remember to listen more than you speak.

First of all, you'll love the boat. My wife and I was on it July of last year and had a great time.

We had 2 large groups of divers, two friend, my wife and I, and a solo diver. It helped that the big groups opened up and took us in so the process was easy. Everyone got along well and we stayed up late every night to talk about all different topics. Many people already pointed out, the boat is not that big so people tend to hang around in the lounge area. Remember that you and others already have one thing in common which is diving so striking up a conversation is not too difficult :)

I'm taking a group (all of whom I know) on the same boat, the very next trip. There are a few empty spots....join us and I guarantee good ship-mates!

I'm taking a group (all of whom I know) on the same boat, the very next trip. There are a few empty spots....join us and I guarantee good ship-mates!

Already made all arrangements for May.

Any idea if 3.5mm suit is going to be overkill?

yeah i left that sentence off....you wear it, he will see it. and wonder how did Kim do that.

---------- Post added February 6th, 2014 at 04:17 PM ----------

Okay after second thinking this...this is a pretty dumb idea so I won't keep it up. but I will try to think of something....you will have a great time with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom