Trip Report Caribbean Explorer II, St. Marteen, Saba, St. Kitt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me the nitrox issue is about logistics & safety. Nitrox on a liveaboard isn't really about how you feel, but rather safety given the number of dives in a relatively short time frame. You either buy into that or not, your choice, either nitrox or air. Keeping in mind most tanks aren't empty at the end of a dive, if you're switching back and forth, they either have to drain the tanks prior to filling or they'll have oddball mixes floating around from diver to diver (anything they offer to do for you they have to offer to everyone else). Both are headaches/extra steps they would rather avoid given the time constraints between dives, and all the other jobs the crew has to perform. From what I've seen nitrox classes are offered early in the trip (not much to them really), and then the diver dives nitrox otherwise the class is a one-off and they just do what's necessary for the individual. Just my take, YMMV. Glad you otherwise enjoyed your trip. Sorry you missed some dives. Liveaboards do come with their own brand of "experiences" to roll with, but it's about the easiest way to dive some of the more remote/prettiest sites. All IMHO, YMMV. :)
Switching back & forth multiple times is a definite no-go for several reasons, safety as well as logistics-wise, but there is no reason why one can't switch from air TO nitrox.

Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned. Did they refund you for the unused marine park fee and unused fuel cost? Seems like you shouldn't have to pay for fuel when you're not going anywhere.

As for not diving in St. Maarten, the captain was wrong to not give you the option and should have taken you there and let you be the judge.
You make an excellent point - I hadn't even thought of that part. If you didn't dive Saba, then you absolutely should not be paying a marine park fee, OP. That money is paid to the marine park office weekly based on the headcount on board.

Several, actually. Bob, who is now mostly on Turks boat; Ian, who has been threatening to retire for about a decade; and Michael, who lasted less than 3 months, I believe. We may have nicknamed him Cpt Ron...the rotating cast certainly kept it interesting lol.
I have heard loads of stories about JF but never actually got to meet him. I think Ian has been with the company just as long if not longer. He is typically well liked by the guests, especially if you appreciate dry British humor / sarcasm.
Ah yes, we dove with Ian once. The other two I don’t think we have.

What was the basis for mandating that? One of the islands demanding it, Explorer Ventures, or what?

On a mid.-July family cruise, we had to have a proctored COVID-19 negative test result within 2 days of the cruise to board, and it's nerve-wracking to plan something like that, do the research, make the plans and pay the costs...then not know whether you'll get to go till 2 days before. And we were fully vaccinated and boosted!

How many total dives were you guys offered this trip? People picking liveaboards are often after a high dive count.

I keep coming back to this point. The few sporadic reports on St. Martin/Sint Maarten we get on ScubaBoard do, IIRC, report pretty good general Caribbean diving with the added bonus of Caribbean reef shark sightings on some dives. The rare mention of St. Kitts diving (which I only recall coming in trip reports on this boat, where Saba diving is more the highlight) tends to portray pretty good diving but nothing all that special, again IIRC.

What I'm saying in a round about way is, I'd like to know if the diving by St. Kitts is better than the diving by St. Martin/Sint Maarten or not.

Neither St. Kitts or St. Martin/Sint Maarten seems to be the subject of land-based dive trip reports where someone goes for a week mainly just to dive. Unlike Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Curacao, etc...
I think it may have been St. Maarten that required the test.

As far as diving is concerend, my typical dive is in an Oklahoma lake where true 6 foot visibility would be an amazing dive. Usually I’m either helping with classes, or training for victim or evidence recovery, often by feel. I can have a great dive in a flat sand bottom, no reef heads, no aquatic life, anyone that thinks ANY Caribbean diving isn’t that good hasn’t spent time in the muddy, zero vis, water of Lake Eufala, Oklahoma.

Another post mentioned switching tank by tank air to nitrox, I had no intention of switching tank by tank, but would switch to Nitrox later in the week if I was feeling it. It was the Captains rule about not switching.

still a good trip.

jay

For comparison, Fiji also requires a COVID test for entering the country but works with resorts to give you the test within 72 hours of arrival in country which you can set up prior to your trip. They are required to file your results with the government. Failing requires you stay in quarantine for 7 days. Not sure where you are allowed to stay.

You are also required to have COVID insurance to cover expenses if you test positive. The government sells a plan for that which has limited coverages but is pretty cheap ($40 pp). It covers hotel stay, tests, hospitalization, transportation and even returning your remains if you don't survive.

Unfortunately being boosted and vaccinated isn't a reliable indicator since we can still get it. It only improves the odds of surviving it.

We are doing this Liveaboard the week after Thanksgiving. We have to test in Saba and load the results for St Martin. My wife mentioned something about possibly having to test before we get on the boat, but that may just be precautionary so we dont have to quarentine in Saba, and then find our own way home.

Thanks for the report. That area is on my places to visit in the next two years. Your report has been most helpful
'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom