Going Negative with Topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You bet!

I'll be there from June 26 to July 19th, but my wife and I will spend a few days in Punta Gorda and San Ignacio in the middle of it. I'll be back on July 8th after dropping her off at the airport in BZ City.

As far as dive ops, I'll be using Splash Dive Center as always. First class operation and ScubaBoard sponsor. Ralph Capeling, co-owner, posts Whale Shark reports here. His wife, Patty Ramirez, started Splash some years ago and runs the operation. Great people, great staff. They consistently staff a very high ratio of guides to divers, like 1 to 4 or even 3, 2 and 1, so your travel companion would be well looked after. Some of their instructors came up through their Kids Club program so it's been fun to watch them mature from youngsters to young adult instructors.

You're going to love Placencia. See you then!

Oops, were you not talking about Ambergris??? If not, ignore the following :wink:

For convenience the place you are staying at might dictate to an extent your choice of dive op... We took the recommendations of folks here and stayed at the Blue Tang Inn (small boutique hotel) and dove with Chuck and Robbies which is a few steps down the beach. We enjoyed diving with them very much. And from the number of repeat customers we dove with I would say others like them as well.

Last edited:
I'll just continue this convo here in this thread rather than start a new one so it'll make a bit more sense!

I'll be transferring from the gaia riverlodge to matachica on the 8th of july.
my travel buddy and I haven't quite decided when exactly yet though. I prefer the early am so I can keep on an early am wake up schedule for diving. He prefers to sleep in. I think I'll win so we can at least enjoy the day and check out the area and attempt any sort of sight seeing.

We'll both get in the water on the 9th and the 10th for sure! (And the 11th for me if I can get enough surface time before I fly back to reality on the 12th).

I've only just started researching dive spots. From what I've read, some of those bucket list spots aren't for new divers? (He's got his OW). But since we're traveling together, I guess that means we should dive together too. Though hopefully my dives wont be as a buddy monitor - it's really not that enjoyable when all the dives end up like that. I'd like to get in 3-tank days if possible. Sometimes he'll opt for just 2-tanks.
Any suggestions for not-to-miss dive sites?
He's never done a night dive and if it's worth doing out there, then he said he'd be up for it. I dive Monterrey so I'm used to the lovely clear *cough*cough* waters filled with lots of miniscule solid objects.

I'll send you a message!

You bet!

I'll be there from June 26 to July 19th, but my wife and I will spend a few days in Punta Gorda and San Ignacio in the middle of it. I'll be back on July 8th after dropping her off at the airport in BZ City.

As far as dive ops, I'll be using Splash Dive Center as always. First class operation and ScubaBoard sponsor. Ralph Capeling, co-owner, posts Whale Shark reports here. His wife, Patty Ramirez, started Splash some years ago and runs the operation. Great people, great staff. They consistently staff a very high ratio of guides to divers, like 1 to 4 or even 3, 2 and 1, so your travel companion would be well looked after. Some of their instructors came up through their Kids Club program so it's been fun to watch them mature from youngsters to young adult instructors.

You're going to love Placencia. See you then!

Up at Mata Chica, i suggest you go with White Sands, Elbert Greer, is the owner/operator (known here as Yobubba).

To get to the "best" sites you'd be looking at a day trip, starting around 5:30 a.m. why not talk it over with Elbert and see what he suggests.

By the way, I'm not advising against the day trip. I love them but you've only got a couple of days. Why not enjoy the area you're in and Mata Chica is sweet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom