Going into deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
i signed up for the preferred plan back before i ever thought about technical diving just because it seemed like for an extra $45/yr i could avoid expensive $10,000+ questions after an accident...

Aye. Me too.

Hemlon:
I don't know if it does either. But my guess is that it requires you to dive within your training/certification level. So if one is INTENTIONALLY going into deco w/o being tech trained, I would guess it could impact your coverage.

What about during training?

There are probably fine lines, but in my experience DAN is pretty easy going. I would imagine that in most cases primary insurance foots most of the bill.

My fiancee has received treatment for DCS on two occasions. DAN didn't have to pay anything the first time, but they did pay some the second. They didn't ask her a single question about her profiles. Preferred plan, incidentally. Perhaps with basic they'd have questioned her.

Just strikes me as curious here. Lot's of responses like "Never, not once" as though there is something horrible about going into deco. I've gone into deco a few times diving in Cozumel. I'm blessed with very good air consumption and I'm stretching tanks out pretty far. I knew I was getting close because my computer was sitting in the yellow for quite a while. Towards the end of the dive it went into the red and required a stop on the way up. So I did. And it was happy. And all was well. And I didn't really need any special training to do it.

Really all dives are deco dives, aren't they? The only question becomes whether or not a stop on the way up is required to allow for some off-gassing under something more than 1 atmosphere of pressure.

Once I started dropping into deco regularly I got my Nitrox certification and started diving that whenever I could. I don't think my computer has even been in the yellow since then.

-Charles

charlesml3:
Just strikes me as curious here. Lot's of responses like "Never, not once" as though there is something horrible about going into deco. I've gone into deco a few times diving in Cozumel. I'm blessed with very good air consumption and I'm stretching tanks out pretty far. I knew I was getting close because my computer was sitting in the yellow for quite a while.
Who said there was something "horrible" about it? I just never had a deco obligation.

I'll never forget something really funny though. When my son and I were diving in Bonaire, and I'm trying to get a good photo of some garden eels, he started getting nervous and pointing to his computer. We had 6 minutes of NDL time left, and he thought that was cutting it close. :rofl3: I guess I should count my blessings that I don't have a daredevil teen. Now, if he would only do his homework so he can graduate high school!!!:shakehead

charlesml3:
Just strikes me as curious here. Lot's of responses like "Never, not once" as though there is something horrible about going into deco. I've gone into deco a few times diving in Cozumel.

People typically don't like going into un-planned deco because they don't have the gas necessary to clear the deco obligation.

While a couple of minutes either way probably won't make a huge difference, I've seen pelagic computers that called for 20 minutes of deco from a diver who had 5 minutes of gas left.

Terry

Sharky1948:
The pinky is generally considered the sign for deco.

It's not all that "generally considered." I'd never heard of that sign before this thread. I've been making staged decompression dives for a long time.

Until i'd read this thread i had no idea there was an unofficial signal for "decompression".

Walter:
It's not all that "generally considered." I'd never heard of that sign before this thread. I've been making staged decompression dives for a long time.
String:
Until i'd read this thread i had no idea there was an unofficial signal for "decompression".
So how do you guys let your dive buddy know you have a deco obligation ... or how much of one you have? How do you signal when you've cleared your obligation?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another question . . . For those who are comfortable going into deco on a "recreational" dive, at what point do you assess whether you are going to have the gas to do the deco, and how do you do it?

NWGratefulDiver:
So how do you guys let your dive buddy know you have a deco obligation ...

If its a computer "recreational" deco as in the topic here usually just pointing to the computer then a finger circle (zero) to indicate out of no stop time. Then for actual stops point at computer than minutes to call the time. When its cleared, point to computer and"OK" to mean "My computer is ok - its cleared".

Not an official signal just one we've always used. Certainly BSAC have no recognised signal for it and i wasn't aware anyone did until about an hour ago!

TSandM:
Another question . . . For those who are comfortable going into deco on a "recreational" dive, at what point do you assess whether you are going to have the gas to do the deco, and how do you do it?

Constantly throughout the dive, check gas, check stops etc. Most people have a general feeling of how much gas they use and so on. I know how long xx bar of gas lasts me at 6m in my tanks and so on and go from there. We're talking a few minutes here, 15-20 at most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom