Going into deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp:
I'd have interpreted the fingers as the depth you intend to stop at...
Nothing indicated that you were signalling time.

I would not be "discussing" the depth of a stop. When buddy diving we come up very slow and have the capability to stop at any depth. If someone wants to stop the ascent then flashing the horizontal hand wave means to hover or stop NOW.

Waving the hand horizontally above the head is used to indicate a mandatory ceiling not a safety stop.

For a safety stop, I would give the horizontal hand wave in front of my body (the same as "stop-here-now or hover").

It seems like a very simple system of communication. I NEVER carry a slate.

To indicate a deco has cleared, I would give the deco signal and then shake my head NO, then point to computer and give OK sign.

If I wanted to continue the hang after the deco is cleared, I would then show the horizontal wave (i.e., hover here) and hold up say 3 fingers for a 3 minute safety stop.

Walter:
..snip..

Numbers are not metric or imperial. I could see a potential problem if you wanted to use Roman numerals, but as long as we stay with Hindu-Arabic base ten, I don't see your issue.

Who said the numbers are metric or imperial?

I was talking about the units.
Signalling 15m is not too difficult.
Signalling 49ft needs a lot more fingers. :wink:

miketsp:

49 requires fewer fingers. I'd have to include a thumb to make 5.

Attachments

• 49.JPG
    49.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 40
dumpsterDiver:
I would not be "discussing" the depth of a stop. When buddy diving we come up very slow and have the capability to stop at any depth. If someone wants to stop the ascent then flashing the horizontal hand wave means to hover or stop NOW.
..snip..

Signalling to a buddy is rarely the problem. As others have said, signals can be arranged beforehand or you're coming up together slowly and it will be obvious.

The most common need I have for signalling deco is when I'm leaving the bottom from a wreck and the DM (or other diver from the group) has just descended to untie the boat. He needs to know our ascent plan especially if we're diving with current and need the line for either the shallower or deeper stops according to the conditions.
Quite often the diver actually untying is not the one initially designated and it depends on the remaining air of one of the divers.

It's then quite common for the line to go slack during one of the shallower stops and we start to drift with the boat, just putting up an SMB so they know where we are.

miketsp:

:confused: 15 Meters: 1 finger + 5 fingers
49 Feet = 50: 5 fingers + form 0 with hand

I do discuss dive plans, of course - but with the Safety Stop covered in briefings so much, and being such a standard practice - I don't mention those, as that'd feel like I was talking down to a buddy. I do try to mention wanting to do a deep stop, even as a Safety stop not required, but if I forget to mention in advance - I just stop at half depth, hold a fist up for Stop, and 1 finger for a minute. A good buddy will stay with me even if he doesn't know what I meant, and I'll explain on de-brief.

On the rare occasion that I have had a Deco obligation, and it has been a long time, I'd point at my computer, then hold up fingers for minutes. I'm sure much of this varies between diving areas - especially on different continents.

Again, if needed - there's the slate, and I don't know why any diver would not want to carry one - in case of additional communication needs? An ego thing? "I'm experience, so I'm not explaining everything - just do it." I dunno, just guessing.

Blackwood:
49 requires fewer fingers. I'd have to include a thumb to make 5.

Now you reminded me of that notation, I remember it exists but I've never actually seen anyone use it.
I had to think for a few seconds to dredge it up from the depths of my memory. :wink:

miketsp:
Now you reminded me of that notation, I remember it exists but I've never actually seen anyone use it.
I had to think for a few seconds to dredge it up from the depths of my memory. :wink:

I suppose that's why dive teams should always agree upon signals beforehand.

The people I generally dive with use that "verbage." It's much simpler than counting five or whatever else people often do.

More awesome paint skills :rofl3:

Left handed, 1-9, buddy's perspective.

Attachments

• 1-9 LH buddy view.JPG
    1-9 LH buddy view.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 44
Walter:
I hate that confusing johnny come lately numbering system. I use ASL numbers 0 - 9, then put them together in sequence.
What happens when you have thick gloves on? Plus the 10 looks like a "Let's surface" signal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom