Going from XL Jets to Turtle fins, what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Will I notice any difference in reguards to kicks (Frog & flutter)? Will weighting be different? Any suggestions?

My XL Jets are just a little on the snug side and I've been diving with them using my drysuit all year but after the last two dives with them and the top of my feet hurting from "cramming" my drysuit boot into them, I'm picking up a pair of Turtle fins Thursday. Didn't know if I should expect the exact same performance out of them as I do the Jets.

Thanks,
Jeremy

A better fit. :)

There are some minor differences (some positive, some negative) but all of them are far outweighed by the improvement you will experience due to a better fit.

JKSteger:
Will I notice any difference in reguards to kicks (Frog & flutter)? Will weighting be different? Any suggestions?

My XL Jets are just a little on the snug side and I've been diving with them using my drysuit all year but after the last two dives with them and the top of my feet hurting from "cramming" my drysuit boot into them, I'm picking up a pair of Turtle fins Thursday. Didn't know if I should expect the exact same performance out of them as I do the Jets.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Well if you feet actually fit into your Jets, you might find the turtles a little sloopy. I know I did. My DC size 11 boots were to big for XL Jets, but to small for Turtles. I ended up getting the boots cut off and put DUI turbo soles on instead. (Now I can use XL Jets)

Thanks,
I'm going by the LDS on Thrusday and I'm taking my drysuit with me to make sure I get a good fit. Changing out boots is not a good option for me currently due to $$$. If they don't fit then I've entertained the possibility of some Mares Quatro's or something that may fit better for now.

Jeremy

JKSteger:
Thanks,
I'm going by the LDS on Thrusday and I'm taking my drysuit with me to make sure I get a good fit. Changing out boots is not a good option for me currently due to $$$. If they don't fit then I've entertained the possibility of some Mares Quatro's or something that may fit better for now.

Jeremy

Turtles are shorter and wider. The foot pockets also better fit for some drysuit feet.

If neither of them works, have you considered the US Divers "Rockets"?

Hmm... I've bid on a pair of XL jet fins on ebay, not realizing that my size 12 rock boots probably wont fit... :( I guess I should withdraw the bid, hope the seller doesn't mind. I tried finding turtle fins on ebay with no luck.

Go to sleep Jim :)

I just got off work so I have an excuse....

The Turtles are a bit sloppy like Jeff said... I had a problem with them on the back kick.... all the other kicks were find just had to slow down a bit due to the sloppyness

Ben_ca:
Go to sleep Jim :)

I just got off work so I have an excuse....

The Turtles are a bit sloppy like Jeff said... I had a problem with them on the back kick.... all the other kicks were find just had to slow down a bit due to the sloppyness
NO BEN , i just got off work , so quit using my excuse!!! and if they dont work on that kick dont use it!!! ROFL !! turtles rock !! well.... i like them!!! OH GO TO BED BEN!!! LOL!!:D :D

Well, I was fortunately outbid on the XL Jet Fins I bid on, so I'm looking for Turtle Fins now. What spring straps go well with these? I wear size 12 rock boots if that helps. Looking for a good online deal too, Leisure Pro charges an arm and a leg for shipping though. I'll also ask at the LDS on Tuesday.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom