Going from plastic to brass second stage, adjustment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ojai Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to be upgrading from my plastic U.S. Diver's Select second stage to a Scuba Pro A700, probably the brass and chrome one. I have never used a brass second stage before. Is this going to be an adjustment to having this extra weight in my mouth? Has anybody done this transition before? Thanks.

I went the opposite route. My first reg was a brass and chrome U.S. Divers model. I used to take it out of my mouth during dives due to jaw fatigue. When plastic regs came on the market I tried one and never looked back.

My wife, Son and I all dive Conshelf XIV and don't have any problem with jaw fatigue... Hose length and mouth piece are a big thing to get right... Most people bite down way to hard... A long bite one keeps more in your mouth to hold on to..

Jim...

agree with above. proper hose length is more critical than mass. I dive SP109/156 seconds (giant hunks of chrome plated brass) as well as ultra light seconds (Poseidon Xstream) with little noticeable differences... (weight issues only)

YMMV

Agree with the two boys above. I dive 156s, Conshelf 14s, G250s and D400s. I notice the D400s are lighter but don't notice in any negative way the weight of the others. Hose length and a mouthpiece that suits your mouth solves issues 99% of the time.

I like the long bites and the soft silicone SP ones. Long bite when diving dry as my hood is thick and goes over my chin and pushes on the reg if I'm using the SP ones.

To summarize, the "weight" is a non issue.

@rhwestfall how's the inventory Bob?

Last edited:
I'll chime in too. Slight change going from plastic to metal. Fine on either for 3+hr dive. Relaxing the jaw and hoses that aren't at uncomfortable angles does the majority of it. The regs are full of air so their perceived weight is offset by their buoyancy. Had 3 conshelf and one D300 (thanks, I'm enjoying it) on today's dive. Switching between it isn't a noticeable difference to me regarding the weight.

Ease of breathing.... Yes.

Enjoy your new regs.
Cameron

get one of the mouthpieces that you put in boiling water and bite down and form them to your bight. Keep whatever 2nd stage you have there is no difference in what you are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom