Going dry in Open Wter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I run warm, and use a crushed neoprene drysuit. I use EMS long underwear, I believe Bergelene is the product family. Their lightweight long underwear does provide insulation, though not huge amounts -- it's actually what I use for winter running.

JeffG:
You might feel differently on your first flood.

I can definitely vouch for that one, and I was wearing DUI Polartech fleece undies.

JeffG:
Pretty close to none. A bigger variant in the "Am I Warm" question, is "Did you have a good breakfast?".

Exactly.

PerroneFord:
Flood? BAH! That NEVER happens! :D

Yea, a flood could make a bad day. Fortunately we are not talking about frigid waters. The local kids are in swimming trunks in this water! LOL
65deg is below your body temp. Extended periods of time flooded with crappy underwear will leave you shivering.

And saying the dive is over after a flood is being shortsighted. How far are you from your exit? How quick can you get out of the water?

JeffG:
Pretty close to none. A bigger variant in the "Am I Warm" question, is "Did you have a good breakfast?".

I believe in carbo loading the night before a dive- I usually drink a few beers while putting my gear together...

Dive_Girl PNW:
FYI Argon was mentioned in parentheses as it is in specific reference to my drysuit set-up and dive conditions and its warming affects are obviously subjective by the individual.

Isn't argon only useful if you're breathing a helium mixture?

sharkster:

I think it's better than inflating your drysuit with helium, which will make you colder faster and there also the possibility of ICD (Isobaric counter-diffusion). I'm also under the impression that for most dives air is just as good. I think it's the divers that go below 300' that swear that argon is the cat's meow.

Edit: I've also heard of people inflating with helium and not noticing any difference.

sharkster:
No, its just that if you are using helium in your back gas, you can no longer use your backgas to inflate your suit. Now that you have separated the two systems (Backgas and drysuit inflation) you now have the opportunity to use a specialized gas for that single purpose (insulation). On paper Argon should be better than air, but in practice ????

do it easy:
I think it's better than inflating your drysuit with helium, which will make you colder faster and there also the possibility of ICD (Isobaric counter-diffusion).
Edit: I've also heard of people inflating with helium and not noticing any difference.

I thought isobaric counter-diffusion was caused when switching from a helium mix to nitrox during ascent.

JeffG} And saying the dive is over after a flood is being shortsighted. How far are you from your exit? How quick can you get out of the water?[/QUOTE:
I am generally 3-5 minutes from my planned exit, and doing NDL diving. If I *HAD* to get out, I could probably be out in under 4 minutes with the safety stop or just over a minute without. The springs have walkable exits at the perimiters.

Back
Top Bottom