Going dry in Open Wter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok guys, I am considering taking the plunge on a used drysuit. I tried it on yesterday and the fit was ok. Mobility in the suit was fine, though I had on no undergarments. So here is the meat of the matter.

I have worn polypro and thermal undies before. The suit is a bit tighter in the thighs and hips than I'd like, and I question whether the thick undergarments I've seen would cause the suit to be too tight in those areas. So what I am wondering is if wearing things like Duofold underwear and similar would be suitable.

I am looking at water temps between 65F and 75F and run times of 45-90 minutes. I am currently wearing the top half of a 5mm farmer (bare lower legs) and and not having any trouble being cold. I see this suit as a stopgap/backup suit until I figure out if I want to invest $2000 in a DUI or simiar.

I'd appreciate thoughts here. Again, the suit itself seems fine, it's just whether I can gain reasonable thermal protection from the "thermal underwear" instead of using the more common drysuit undies. By the way, I got to see some of the Weezle stuff and wow, is that nice!

I use a layer of Duofold under polypro fleece (both really old- 10+ years). I get chilly after about an hour in 38f water wearing a 2mm crushed neoprene drysuit.

I assume you're talking about a shell suit. I've never used one, but I think that you should be fine. If you get cold, use your thumb and add a thicker layer on your torso and just enough on the legs to get into the suit. I think some divers also like the under armor- although I've never used them for diving, just running.

I wear underarmour under my wetsuit. Works well for me, but has no insulating properties. I wear it for modesty's sake. :)

I too think I will be fine with a modest thermal layer for my short dives in these temperate waters. And yes, I am talking about a tri-lam suit. I was just wondering if anyone out there might have been using one similarly. I could easily dive wet and be fine in these waters, but the advantages of diving dry, especially for the cost I am talking, are very attractive.

PerroneFord:
The suit is a bit tighter in the thighs and hips than I'd like, and I question whether the thick undergarments I've seen would cause the suit to be too tight in those areas. So what I am wondering is if wearing things like Duofold underwear and similar would be suitable.

If you have cause to wear thick undergarments, I would suggest testing them out under the suit. Often times, you don't want a suit you will quickly "grow" out of - however if the price is right that's another factor that could make the issue mute at this point in time for your diving goals.

Perhaps you could also look into the option of alternative warmer undergarments - ones that insulate for colder waters but aren't as "thick." For example, our regular water temps are 34-50 degrees f. I dive with a Weezle undergarment. It can be very compact when needed - I can let air out of my suit to reduce the insulation if I am too warm, or I can add air in the suit to fluff the Weezle to increase warmth when I am colder (and then there's always lovely Argon....).

I personally dislike bulky thick undergarments and Weezle undergarments are fairly inexpensive when you do side-by-side comparisons to most (Click here for an example). :D

PerroneFord:
I too think I will be fine with a modest thermal layer for my short dives in these temperate waters. And yes, I am talking about a tri-lam suit. I was just wondering if anyone out there might have been using one similarly. I could easily dive wet and be fine in these waters, but the advantages of diving dry, especially for the cost I am talking, are very attractive.
Lots of people are using drysuits in that temp of water. Personally, I would use the DUI 200g undies. I was in the Ottawa area diving in 70deg water with 400g (I only took 1 set of undies with me and it had to be good enough for 45deg stuff in Lake Ontario)...Anyways, the biggest issue will be overheating when above water, not the in water stuff.

I assume it's a shell drysuit and not a neoprene. I use a Gotrx/thinsulate skisuit under mine and often a pair of HH thermal underwear(onepiece)

The suit I most often use is 6.5mm neoprene and wear sweats and sweatshirt underneath. I was in 42 degree water for 75 minutes last weekend..I sweated.

Ron

I don't forsee diving in water colder than maybe 65 degrees for another year or so. So as for growing out of it, it's not likely. As I mentioned I am doing 65 degree water now in a 5mm wet for 1 hour exposures with no issues. I'm hoping to shed a few pounds which should help out on the fit. The torso fits great. It's just my big legs and butt that cause the problem. I need a drysuit with pleats! LOL!

Good to hear I can wear a thin thermal layer and probably be ok.

How much difference would argon make?

PerroneFord:
Good to hear I can wear a thin thermal layer and probably be ok.
You might feel differently on your first flood.

PerroneFord:
How much difference would argon make?
Pretty close to none. A bigger variant in the "Am I Warm" question, is "Did you have a good breakfast?".

I've worn Duofold under bouldering pants (fleece lined tights basically) in warmer water in my drysuit. I'm always cold though so my experience isn't going to reflect yours, you will probably be happy as a clam. I've found that as long as my hands are warm I'm happy, you might consider a pair of dry gloves if you find yourself getting chilly.

Right now I have polypro fleece lined expedition weight underwear that are heavier than my Duofold expedition weight undies that I wear under my 400g thinsulate drysuit undies and I'm finally finding some warmth in the suit.

Just my .02
Ber :lilbunny:

JeffG:
You might feel differently on your first flood.

Pretty close to none. A bigger variant in the "Am I Warm" question, is "Did you have a good breakfast?".

Flood? BAH! That NEVER happens! :D

Yea, a flood could make a bad day. Fortunately we are not talking about frigid waters. The local kids are in swimming trunks in this water! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom