Going diving out of Fort Desoto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
Since this thread started, i have a couple of ?'s

I too would like to head out to the St. Pete reefs. Boating from SRQ might be a little costly. Trailering the boat up there might be better. I've boated from SRQ once and it sucked. Too long at of a drive on the water.

Opinions: Use the ramps at Maximo Park and boat out to the reefs?
or,
Drive down to Ft. DeSoto ramps and head out from there? (I'll don't think I'll go out the Gulf side of that channel ever again. Had to adjust speed and 'surf' the waves due to the shallowing waters.)
or,
Is there another public boat launch near St. Pete Beach?
Thanks

Hey Brother. I don't know how far you want to drive but the ramp I always use is just north of John's Pass on the intercoastal. It is a killer ramp with a very nice restroom facility on it and good parking. All asphalt and the ramps were well built. (its in Bell Air I think) I think it costs about 5 bucks to use for the day but you can go just south about a half mile on the intercoastal and head out of John's Pass. From there its only about 7 miles on open water to the tanks. I'm not sure about any of the other reefs in the area but that ramp seems to be centrally located to me.

Some other near shore diving options in south pinellas are the wreck of the narcissus and the ruins of the old fort at the s.w. corner of egmont key.

narcissus - n27.37.460/w082.48.050
egmont key fort - n27.34.660/w082.45.800

Any more details on the condition of the narcissus? Isn't it mostly covered by sand?

You couldn't pick a better time to dive the M-60 Tanks on the St Pete Bch Reef or the Barge. Vis in 30-ish feet of water has been top to bottom. I dove Mad Bch Reef Apr 30 and the weather has been great ever since. And you could still hit many of the southern sites a bit farther, leading to Doc's Barge in 55'.

Git-r-dun, that's the Bay Pines Veterans Boat Ramp you are talking about in St Pete. It's the best for John's Pass, and closer for most trailering boats from Tampa area unless already north by Clearwater. JP is great for all of the sites mentioned, and it's an easier pass than Bunces, even with the construction on the bridge. Just hug the reds.

The only marker remaining on any reefs off St Pete inside of 60' is the South County in 45', but the yellow marker only marks the approximate center of the reef and is not exactly on anything. The white ball is long gone from the Tug Orange. The 3 Barges are right there too. The Permit Barge is less than a mile away. The LSN's and Salt Hopper are also in 45' but just a tad farther offshore and about 5 miles to the NW.

See Florida Skin Diver and click the Wild West Coast for dead on #s and information.

You didn't mention the make and model of your boat, and depending on the design a 21 footer could be very sea worthy for moderate distances offshore... or not at all. Just don't over weight it, and use a lot of scope on the anchor line & chain. Got a VHF radio right? The sea breezes are not all that bad when the weather is good, unless you've got no freeboard and a really flat hull.

Capt Chad

Last edited:
You couldn't pick a better time to dive the M-60 Tanks on the St Pete Bch Reef or the Barge. Vis in 30-ish feet of water has been top to bottom. I dove Mad Bch Reef Apr 30 and the weather has been great ever since. And you could still hit many of the southern sites a bit farther, leading to Doc's Barge in 55'.

Git-r-dun, that's the Bay Pines Veterans Boat Ramp you are talking about in St Pete. It's the best for John's Pass, and closer for most trailering boats from Tampa area unless already north by Clearwater. JP is great for all of the sites mentioned, and it's an easier pass than Bunces, even with the construction on the bridge. Just hug the reds.

The only marker remaining on any reefs off St Pete inside of 60' is the South County in 45', but the yellow marker only marks the approximate center of the reef and is not exactly on anything. The white ball is long gone from the Tug Orange. The 3 Barges are right there too. The Permit Barge is less than a mile away. The LSN's and Salt Hopper are also in 45' but just a tad farther offshore and about 5 miles to the NW.

You didn't mention the make and model of your boat, and depending on the design a 21 footer could be very sea worthy for moderate distances offshore... or not at all. Just don't over weight it, and use a lot of scope on the anchor line & chain. Got a VHF radio right? The sea breezes are not all that bad when the weather is good, unless you've got no freeboard and a really flat hull.

Capt Chad

Hi Capt Chad,

Thanks for the link, that database you got going is very nice :)

I have a Carolina Skiff 218 DLV. This is there newer skiff hull design that has a Tri-Hull with a shallow V, not the flat bottom (DLX). I have been in the bay with it in some moderate chop, not a deep V or a Cat by any means, but if you slow down to 10-15 mph it is a soft ride. I 200 ft of rope and chain. Handheld radio for now until I decide how to rig a fixed radio (got a bimini not a T-top, low bridge where I normally launch from)

Sound about right?

"Thanks for the link, that database you got going is very nice" :)

Thanks Javy...

That hull looks like an improvement, checked the website. This looks like a good Keys type boat; best about 10 miles offshore or less, because of the low gunwales and 10 degree dead rise. The surprise to me is 18 gallon fuel capacity... even the 27 gallon option is very low. Today's 4 stroke engines are good on fuel, but for offshore you want 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 in reserve. Gear for 3 or 4 divers changes the performance substancially from what manufactureres quote. Glad you got the max power, underpowered boats can't plane for beans loaded with gear, ice and fish.

Capt Chad

"Thanks for the link, that database you got going is very nice" :)

Thanks Javy...

That hull looks like an improvement, checked the website. This looks like a good Keys type boat; best about 10 miles offshore or less, because of the low gunwales and 10 degree dead rise. The surprise to me is 18 gallon fuel capacity... even the 27 gallon option is very low. Today's 4 stroke engines are good on fuel, but for offshore you want 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 in reserve. Gear for 3 or 4 divers changes the performance substancially from what manufactureres quote. Glad you got the max power, underpowered boats can't plane for beans loaded with gear, ice and fish.

Capt Chad

I have a 42 gallon tank on my boat (think it goes upto 72 now). I have travelled about 76 miles and still had a half a tank left with four people, grill, cooler, etc (great day all over the bay). I was thinking the same distance you are about 10 miles or less :wink: I have never measured the gunwales, so thanks for pointing that out. I thought they where pretty standard for a fishing boat but I will look into that. I tell you what I really love this Suzuki motor. Have a couple buddies one has twin 150 Yammies the other has twin 200 Verados and IMHO the Suzuki has them both beat. Thanks for your input.

Tight lines,
Javy

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom