Go Pro Hero 6 Black accessories for diving and snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll give you a feedback on this. I used the Super Suit official Go Pro case once. The second time I used it (at about -30 meters) it leaked... the camera was off in that moment and it simply didn’t respond to to the buttons. When on the surface I checked it carefully and it was working normally. I asked to experience divers who had this type of cases for long time. I was told there was a gap in the o-ring. Then again I let the camera dry for 1 or 2 days. I checked very carefully camera and case, I closed it with the help of experienced people. Apparently it was fine and well sealed they said. I decided to bring it again about -30 meters. It leaked again. This time it was on and it simply remained on. It recorded continuously all the dive and could not be shut down until I was on the surface. You might think I took a useless risk but there was a videomaker with us. He explained that Go Pro can actually resist much more than -10 meters if it is in a case, even if not perfectly sealed it still protects enough the camera inside even though it doesn’t work properly

Bought the case directly from Go Pro website. Will try to get help from their forum . Then I will have (probably) to return the case. If they don’t accept it I will have to find someone who can try at least to replace the o ring

I will tell you that when I bought the case I also asked advice from some people in Italy. Mostly they told me to buy Super Suit because all in all it still gives more guarantees than cheaper clones. Still, they also warned me that leaking is much more common with the new case for Go Pro 5/6 while it was very rare with previous versions of the same case

As for back scatter filters, I got them second hand. My filters are for Go Pro 4 and come up with some sort of plastic o ring to be used with Go Pro 5/6 as an adaptor. I found it quite difficult to set the filters mount on the case with this adaptor. The screw was maybe too loose or not properly applied to the mount. The mount opened during a diving. I was lucky enough to catch the mount with the filters and the plastic o ring while they were sinking. Could not use them this time. Will have to understand better how to tighten them properly to the case or (better for me) how to replace the original o ring with something more stable

IMO forget those fancy go pro sticks, they’re useless, break easy and are expensive. If you still want it, just get a big bag of GoPro accessories from amazon for 20$ which has everything you need.

If you want a really good mount for your GoPro that will never break, get a Goodman handle with an aluminum GoPro fitted mount not plastic as they break easily with rugged use. I have one of these - Goodman Handle | Light Accessories | Anchor Dive Lights You can see in the photos that you can also attach torches to the sides which makes it a really compact little rig for your GoPro

It is a little bit pricey but it’s solid construction and you get what you pay for.

I still use my Snake River Prototype tray. It's just too awesome and the added mass really smooths out the video. I am leaving for Cozumel in two weeks and have ordered Back Scatter's new Isotta housing. It's about the price of the camera, but it can go deeper, you get to leave the lens cap on, thereby not compromising the waterproofness of the stand-alone GoPro 6 and it accepts their flip filter system. I decided to dedicate that to a new 6, so I'll be bringing 2 6s and a 5 on this trip. The five will be a loaner (if needed) and will either be in an extended battery housing or a fifty/fifty dome to get great over/under shots.

is-gp5_1.jpg

81HerFUPngL._SL1500_.jpg

7166aRKmEcL._SL1266_.jpg

Attachments

• 7166aRKmEcL._SX679_.jpg
    7166aRKmEcL._SX679_.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 81HerFUPngL._SL1500_.jpg
    81HerFUPngL._SL1500_.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 67
Be careful. I bought the flip 5 on my hero 6 and first day diving the flipping mechanism was too tight. I broke filter trying to flip into place. Second flipping mechanism eventually freezes into place. Occasionally I am able to maneuver filter down. Had three other divers try it but it was too stiff.

Strange. My friend has flip 3 with no problems☹️ Big$$ down the drain
Was it "sticky" or difficult to use before you took it diving? We ordered the flip system and it seem to me like it's almost too easy to flip. I am worrying the filter won't stay in place.

We went with the Flip6 "pro" filter that includes a macro lens. I remember seeing a demo unit at the 2015 Cozumel invasion that scubaboard runs. I hope our experience is better than yours by a country mile, $180 for filters was not cheap. If it doesn't work, then they'll give me a refund or I'd request a chargeback with my bank. Hopefully it will just work.

I still use my Snake River Prototype tray. It's just too awesome and the added mass really smooths out the video. I am leaving for Cozumel in two weeks and have ordered Back Scatter's new Isotta housing. It's about the price of the camera, but it can go deeper, you get to leave the lens cap on, thereby not compromising the waterproofness of the stand-alone GoPro 6 and it accepts their flip filter system. I decided to dedicate that to a new 6, so I'll be bringing 2 6s and a 5 on this trip. The five will be a loaner (if needed) and will either be in an extended battery housing or a fifty/fifty dome to get great over/under shots.
Have you seen the fusion? It shoots 360 degree video and you can just choose a camera angle in software after the fact (or leave it as 360 video for youtube or facebook etc). I think it lacks the great image stabilization that the hero6 offers. Likely the IS is achieved by an auto-crop feature and how do you crop 360 degree video?

Was it "sticky" or difficult to use before you took it diving? We ordered the flip system and it seem to me like it's almost too easy to flip. I am worrying the filter won't stay in place.

We went with the Flip6 "pro" filter that includes a macro lens. I remember seeing a demo unit at the 2015 Cozumel invasion that scubaboard runs. I hope our experience is better than yours by a country mile, $180 for filters was not cheap. If it doesn't work, then they'll give me a refund or I'd request a chargeback with my bank. Hopefully it will just work.
It has detents - you can push the unused filter back and it will "click" into place and not move.

IS causes you to lose %5 of your image... a small, small price to pay. I've tried 360 videos and they haven't really caught on like everyone thought they would. Less is often best and when it comes to telling a story, the 360 becomes a liability not an asset. I shoot to tell a story so framing is very important and is something you can't do with a 360.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom