http://www.diveheart.org/

Go No Farther - Cave Diving Dangers Warning Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should be required viewing in all OW classes.

I don't think so ... perhaps all OW classes in areas where a student has the ability to access a cave entrance. But that's only going to be a tiny minority of OW students worldwide. Showing a cave diving video to OW students in my part of the country is pretty irrelevant, since you have to fly several thousand miles to get to a cave from here.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I prefer to tailor my course material to the environment my students will most likely be diving in ... which is not caves. The problem I have with statements like it should be "required in all OW classes" is that not every OW student will relate to it ... and therefore it dilutes the important message, which is don't dive in environments you aren't properly trained for. I have far more effective, and personalized, ways to get that message across to my students than to show them a video of some environment they're unlikely to ever dive in.

Is there something constructive to be said? If not, then don't say it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer to tailor my course material to the environment my students will most likely be diving in ... which is not caves. The problem I have with statements like it should be "required in all OW classes" is that not every OW student will relate to it ... and therefore it dilutes the important message, which is don't dive in environments you aren't properly trained for. I have far more effective, and personalized, ways to get that message across to my students than to show them a video of some environment they're unlikely to ever dive in.

What I bolded in your post above is exactly the reason to show the video. The video emphasizes the far too general message of don't dive in environments you aren't properly trained in. Other instructors may not have personalized examples to show their students therefore the video can help, and instructors can generalize the dangers of cave diving to other overhead environments such as wrecks and extended or restricted swim-throughs. I'm not saying you're wrong....you obviously are doing what works best for you and your students.

This open-water-non-overhead-trained diver's take on the video?

The two "open water" divers spent a LOT of energy working to make a dangerous looking silt-out. I don't know why they got into trouble. I don't know what happened to the younger diver (looked like he maybe had a medical emergency?).

The difference between this vid and the "Deceptively..." video is that the latter explains what's happening, why, and why the training is important.

What would be great is a video that covers overhead environments in general, and explains clearly why training in such environments is so important.

I'd like to Thank Curt and all involved for caring enough to take the personal burden of time, effort, cost, and energy to make this video. Especially knowing that it likely won't be good enough for the Internet who will expect a major Hollywood big budget production.

ps: I don't think it's any worse than that "cave diving" big budget movie that wasbput out a few years back.

personal burden of time, effort, cost, and energy to make this video.

At the end it actually looked rather heavily sponsored. I would also assume that some of that "sponsorship" is the reason the Subway scene was put in there.

At the end it actually looked rather heavily sponsored. I would also assume that some of that "sponsorship" is the reason the Subway scene was put in there.
Most of that being "heavily sponsored" consists of some free fills, a tray of sandwiches, coffee, showing up to help out, appearing as an actor, letting them film on your property, etc... :)

Most of that being "heavily sponsored" consists of some free fills, a tray of sandwiches, coffee, showing up to help out, appearing as an actor, letting them film on your property, etc... :)

My point is, not to make this out as such a huge humanitarian effort and recognize it for what it is. It is simply a redo of previously supplied information in a format that the "creator" thought was more reflective of modern times. There is nothing at all wrong with that and people have simply supplied critiques. Subway was not the only "sponsor" listed at the end of the video and specific equipment vendors and locations were spotlighted as a form of ADVERTISING. I do not know the exact specifics of the arrangements with any of these sponsors but once again to make the claim that they did this solely for "the shorties" is a falsehood.

You know, you guys have a lot of input for a video you never took place in building. These individuals took time away from their loved ones to make a public announcement for the community. Yes the acting is sub-par but they did it for the community, being a active PRODUCTIVE member.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom