http://www.diveheart.org/

Go No Farther - Cave Diving Dangers Warning Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard FDC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Where else but Florida, the World Center of Diving
# of dives
1000 - 2499
SCUBA Diving is a wonderful sport and the opportunities to find great dive sites are endless. We will eventually encounter what is called an "Overhead Environment." Entering an area where a direct swim to the surface is not possible presents a wide range of dangers and requires specialized training and equipment. Overhead environments include caves, shipwrecks, ice, coral caves, and lave tubes. The ADM Exploration Foundation recently created a very powerful new video warning of the dangers. All divers should watch the video and heed the warning. Please share it to help save lives. Thanks

This is a point well worth making time and time again - only dive to the level you have been trained for.

I have some sympathy for a student if placed in this situation - the instructor (as the responsible person) should be strict with the definition of open water with no overheads. The student diver doesn't know what he doesn't know (that caves can and will kill divers who aren't properly trained and equipped) but the instructor should if he is sticking to the standards of the course.

the instructor (as the responsible person) should be strict with the definition of open water with no overheads
And then you get the word "swimthroughs". And then people go and call a 50m long tunnel with no open surface and no light a "swimthrough" (even on this board). But yeah, anyway, that's not the point here.

About the video, I found it incredibly long. Too long to get the message across imo. I ended up saying "Well, at least the cave diving pics are cool". It's nice to try, but I'd suggest making it waaay shorter, eg maybe 3 or 4 minutes maximum.

About the video, I found it incredibly long.
Can I comment on the acting? I guess not.

But dang, it sucked. No matter the message of the video. So, not only the length of the video, but also the quality of the actors' performance is... suboptimal.

I thought it was rather high on the whole "false bravado" message as our fearless aquanauts walk past the guy who is letting his dog poop on the entry steps. I will give you this, it is a "new" version of the other video including all the "new" drama that is put in shows these days..

The quality of acting is something that is a bit complicated to find, so I cannot blame them for that. I'd have sucked in any of those roles, and the try they made at having some guys with full gear etc is a complicated one imo.

I didn't think it was that good either. "A deceptively easy way to die" was much better. Not only does it tell you what can happen but what kind of techniques are needed when you get proper training to dive caves. Should be required viewing in all OW classes.

I agree that "A Deceptively Easy Way To Die" still remains one of the best videos warning of the dangers of cave diving without proper training and equipment. I recommend it quite regularly.

We're all going to have to agree to agree here. Yeah, I hope it finds a market and saves a life or two, but I'll follow the first rule of Scuba and not hold my breath. That being said, it's entirely too FIGJAMmy for my taste, including the cameo by the producer/editor. It is also way, way, way too long and the real points are not made until just before the closing credits which will be long after the video has been abandoned by most sucked into watching it. A deceptively easy way to die will remain my go to video for all of my OW students.

On a positive note, I did like the death graphics! Those were cool.

I rather like the video and it got the point across. I like "Got Training" best but due a disagreement it was taken down. TJ and crew did an outstanding job. I'll see if I can find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom