gluing on pocket question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OtherHalf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Getting ready to glue a pocket on my wetsuit. I bought some mcnett neoprene cement, I've read through old posts and I'm confident i can pull it off. However, in reading through old posts I noticed everyone using neoprene cement used neoprene backed pockets. The halcyon pockets I have are fabric backed. Will the neoprene cement still work with these pockets or do I need a different product?

Neoprene cement is all you need. (You're talking about the smelly black stuff, right?)

Hopefully you bought the can with the built-in brush, and not the tube. The tube is better for getting into smaller wetsuit rips. But for this job, you'll need to brush the cement over the full contact area.

Pay attention to the edges: you want to make sure it's well bonded all the way around. On the suit's thigh, you should mark out the pocket location, and "over glue" by 1/4 inch or so, to make sure the entire edge of your pocket is well bonded all the way around.

You'll want to do two coats of cement on each side, pocket and suit. The first coat should saturate and bond to the fabric. You'll notice it soaking in as you spread it. Let that coat dry. Then do a second coat on each side. This coat shouldn't soak in: it should just create a nice bonding layer on top of the first coat.

When the second coat dries, press your pocket onto the suit slowly and carefully. You should get an instant "contact bond" that will last a good long time.

I got the can with the brush. If it turns out well I'll do a post. Been done before but don't think another how-to will hurt. Thanks!

Mark out the location by putting the suit on and reaching into the pocket. Then hold the pocket in place while someone marks all the way around it. Take the suit off, and see if it needs to be stretched to reach the original lines. Stretch it over something if it does like a custom cut board. Then tape all the edges of the glue line on the suit before gluing.

Overall happy with the way it turned out. I glued about 1/4" outside the tracing to ensure full coverage. The overage doesn't look too bad, but it is a oittle uneven between the two sides. I used packing tape to outline the line and ensure a clean job. It seemed to do a good job and was laying around. I glued about a 2" strip on all edges. Everything seems well attached. I may get some heat applied finishing tape sometime to finish the edges nice and clean but I don't think its necessary. Hoping to find time to get in the water soon. Will try and remember to post up reviews after that.

Total cost was 35 for the pocket on ebay, about 18 for the glue shipped. Tape was leftover from a move.

20140812_210603.jpg

20140812_210614.jpg

Back
Top Bottom