glueing reading lenses in mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid

私は寿司およびアジア女性を食べるã
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got this idea from one of the techs out in our engineering lab.
He glued reading glass lenses into his safety glasses, towards the bottom making a bifocal.
I can buy a pair for $1, which have several times to put various places around the home, car and work.
So why not silicon some into my mask, so I can read my gauges and watch better u/w.
LP wants $50 bucks for each lens and the special masks are even more.
Just might try it.

Let me know how it works . . . I'd love to replace my mask, which leaks, but the prospect of another $200 ($50 for the mask, $150 for the bifocal lenses) has stopped me so far.

I'll try it first on a throw away mask, if that works, I'll do mine up.
Even if they fall out, it's only a buck.

i have some bifocals that have a stick on type magnafier on them i bet they could be peeled off and mounted in a mask,would def. help with some of the small numbers on my computer. great idea.

I have trouble reading because of my vision also, and hated the thought of all the hassles with my reading glasses on shore, boat, etc. and needing a prescription mask or the kind of add ons the LDS offers. I went to the local Walmart, talked to the Opt. (who is a diver also), got my vision checked and fitted for throw away contacts. He fitted me with a higher diopter for my left eye for reading my gauges and a light prescription for my right eye. Unbelievable improvement in reading clarity, with no loss of clarity for distance. The kicker for me was the cost of the exam and a "free" 2 weeks supply of lenses was less than a mask. I'll only use the contact lenses for diving and use my glasses for work, etc. They are roughly $0.80 - $1.10 a day in cost if you purchase a months supply. Works for me and is an option you might want to try.

that does sound like a good idea, I only use glasses for reading 1.5+ mag
I do need to update my prescription reading glasses, I'll talk with the Doc

dlndavid:
I got this idea from one of the techs out in our engineering lab.
He glued reading glass lenses into his safety glasses, towards the bottom making a bifocal.
I can buy a pair for $1, which have several times to put various places around the home, car and work.
So why not silicon some into my mask, so I can read my gauges and watch better u/w.
LP wants $50 bucks for each lens and the special masks are even more.
Just might try it.

The magnifier glasses can also be used on the outside of the mask as flip-ups, which is how I set mine up.

You'll see them if you go to my "View Public Profile" and look closely at my picture.

OK, ok..... I'm not going to continue until you all stop laughing..... :)

The ones pictured are $3.00 magnifier reading glasses with the arms removed and simply attached with rubber bands looped over the mask strap.

When I need the magnification, I just flip them down into place and, when not needed, they flip back up as pictured, completely out of my view.

You can resume laughing now.

I'm fine.... really. :D

I also bring a hand-held magnifying glass to see real tiny stuff. It's tough getting old.

Dave C

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

those look like micky mouse ears

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

stop, my sides are hurting

:joke:

But yours do look like they would work pretty good.
You're right about the getting old, when you get past 40, the eyes become not as flexible and that is why we need reading glasses,
I got the clue when the waiter would come over with his flashlight so I could read the menu. :D
In the Philippines, the DM was trying to show us a pigmy seahorse, I just gave him the OK sign and nodded

Try discovering on a free ascent on a night dive that you can't read your depth gauge . . . I hate getting old.

The flip up lenses aren't a bad idea, but the thought of having to reach up and flip them down in the middle of a free ascent while managing an SMB and spool is too much for me. I'll stick to the permanent ones stuck in the bottom of my mask, even if it means that I have to tuck my head oddly to see any critter that's further than 12" from my face :)

Hope this may be of some value.

Walgreens (possibly others), eyeglass/vision correction display, look for "Stick-On" magnifying lenses. Small box about 3" x 4". They come in a variety of magnifications.

Follow the instructions. Although they are no large, they really help with vision loss.

Without my glasses, reading is impossible, these have helped greatly.

Now that I can see, there's no pretty mermaids left.

Have not needed to stack 'em yet, multiple correction, i.e. near, mid, distant, but being as small as they are, it would be possible - one above the other.

Carl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom