Glue - Wet suit & Dry Suit Neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi everyone & anyone....

My LDS sells 2 types of glue. Wet suit glue & dry suit glue.

Question I have is since both these are made of neoprene, what's the difference??

Also, can i use my dry suit glue on wetsuit neoprene?

Simple really, but somehow, I get this feeling i'm opening a hugh can o' worms here.....

Thanks in advance.....

hi
good question
only diffrence is that the dry suit glue has more strength
for suit inflation
and yes you can use the dry suit glue on wetsuits
but it does not flex as good as wetsuit glue
so if your job on the wetsuit is not perfect you will feel the repair on your skin
and the dry suit glue cost much more
i use wetsuit glue on my dry suit for small repairs like holes or leaks
just make sure you apply 3 layers of glue to each side before you pinch it together
and dry suit glue for large repairs
eg: new seals, new boots, new zipper
hope this helps

Hi BR,

THaks for the reply....
Also, generally, when I use my drysuit glue on my drysuit, i only use it on the cut edges of the neoprene & not on the nylon surface adhered to the surface of it....

But does the glue work properly if I was to apply it onto the nylon surface of neoprene also? or should I only be applying it on the neoprene itself for proper adhesion?

And I'm assuming it would be used the same way: apply at least 3 coats to each bonding surface, waiting for each application to dry first & letting the last coat to dry to a sticky texture before bonding the 2 surfaces....???

hi lanwu
yes to both questions
yes you can use it on surface as well but it does not get to the root of the leak it only seals the surface and looks bad
if it is a pin hole i like to take a needle and inject the glue
or cut a slit and then glue it with 3 layers of glue
however for repairs on my black neopreen dry suit i use black wet suit glue
and on my dry mitts to reattach the nylon to the neopreen,
i apply 1 layer of glue to saturate the material let it become tacky and push it into the neopreen
hope this helps

Hi BR,

Thanks again....just 1 last ques. I realized....Can I also use my drysuit glue to bond neoprene to rubber on my booties?? Same procedure I guess??

It seems that the glue is really more a general waterproof glue than JUST neoprene glue....

PS. Actually, i'm using my on wetsuit....that's why all the questions. Moved to the tropics after living in Vancouver Canada. So my drysuit doesn't get so much usage anymore.....Thanks again for everything BR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom