Question glue for bilam dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marc.collin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi

what king of glue to put wrist seal on a usia drysuit (seem to be a bilam)?

wrist seal was installed outside the drysuit, on the textile.

all seal was broken, i removed one seal, don't know if it's better to glue over the current seal or to remove the old seal?

wrist_seal.jpg

thank

consider installing the sitech wrist seal rings. i've done that on 1 suit so far and definitely doing that for the other once it needs replacement.

I removed old seal to fabric on my USIA suit and used contact cement (DAP weldwood). If I could turn back time, I would have kept the old seal on and glued the new seal to the old, probably using the heat service adhesive tape that DRIS sells. My suit cuff was a bit too small in diameter to glue Sitech rings in without having to do major work on the cuffs.

I removed old seal to fabric on my USIA suit and used contact cement (DAP weldwood). If I could turn back time, I would have kept the old seal on and glued the new seal to the old, probably using the heat service adhesive tape that DRIS sells. My suit cuff was a bit too small in diameter to glue Sitech rings in without having to do major work on the cuffs.
what usia suit do you have, just to be sure this glue should work on mine

what usia suit do you have, just to be sure this glue should work on mine
I don’t know the exact suit model, I think it’s an older one. There are cordura cuffs over the end of the sleeves. This is the link I bought it from.

I agree with @Jcp2. If what's left of the latex seals are secure just use the heat tape from DRIS (Scuba) site. Clean all the latex with MEK or something first though. That's about a 20 minute repair. Plus or minus depending on how many beers you drink.

The DAP Weldwood is great but using it is a little more involved. If using it on fabric you need a few "pre-coats" to fill in the pores before you glue the seals.

There's a lot more information on the Repairing Your Own Gear forum and the DRIS site. If you go the DAP route, find some of the discussions about removing the old glue. I went overboard with that and wasted a lot more time and effort than I probably needed to.

I agree with @Jcp2. If what's left of the latex seals are secure just use the heat tape from DRIS (Scuba) site. Clean all the latex with MEK or something first though. That's about a 20 minute repair. Plus or minus depending on how many beers you drink.

The DAP Weldwood is great but using it is a little more involved. If using it on fabric you need a few "pre-coats" to fill in the pores before you glue the seals.

There's a lot more information on the Repairing Your Own Gear forum and the DRIS site. If you go the DAP route, find some of the discussions about removing the old glue. I went overboard with that and wasted a lot more time and effort than I probably needed to.
I also took off the latex and put on multiple coats of cement like you; hence my recommendation not to do as I do, but as I will do next time.

Back
Top Bottom