Gloves in warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wear mine. If a dive operator said I couldn't, I'd not spend my money with them.

Yes, touching coral does harm, I don't touch coral. Kicking coral does even more harm, I don't kick coral either.

Tom

It's like the fatuous arguments against seat belts in the bad old days before they were mandatory: that safety restraints somehow make drivers more cautious as they are aware of the likelihood of greater injury. We see the warped logic in this. People drive carefully because it's best for themselves and those around them, not because they're strapped in safely.

I have noticed a significant difference in diver behaviour between the no-gloves-allowed Red Sea where there's great effort at buoyancy control and few people dare touch anything and other areas where it's a free-for-all (grope, grab, pick, cop a feel). But this is due more to the operators placing strong emphasis on the importance of not making contact, not touching and on general good practice under water. It is up to every diver to be responsible, cautious and considerate but discipline and instruction practiced by guides and instructors are very helpful.

Good pre-dive briefs outlining the importance of protecting the sealife and the chastsisement of those who fall foul (I know one instructor who turned off the air supply of a diver who repeatedly refused instructions to stop molesting turtles) are crucial. For most half intelligent human beings, just a bit of information and knowledge is all that's required for them to take up good practice. As for the small minority, they'll behave like idiots gloves or no gloves.

So lets stop the selfish and irresponsible behaviour and please let me wear my gloves.

you said it far better than I did...

thanks!

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom