Gloves in warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're on a reef dive, you should not be wearing gloves.

Yeah, I've been stung more than once by accidentally touching coral. So what? You're hurting it. Getting hurt by it helps you learn to get your bouancy and motion under control.

I mean people shouldn't dive naked on coral. That might be a bit much. But take the gloves off!

I've dived with buddies (picked at random) who have the same bad, insensitive attitudes expressed here ("I'll stick my gloves in my BC pocket and put them on as soon as I'm under water...")

What a stinky attitude!

And their hands are all over things! Picking up critters, shells, and so forth. And touching coral, sponge and other stuff...

The underwater world isn't yours (or mine) to destroy. It belongs to the world and our future generations...unless we kill it off with our selfishness first.

BTW -- gloves are also prohibited diving off SABA.

Your life doesn't depend on your wearing gloves but the life of the corals and other things you touch is threatened by your touching them and wearing gloves means you are much more likely to hurt or kill them.

Gloves are strongly advised for wreck diving or pulling yourself down a mooring line. But if you're diving a reef, leave the gloves back on shore/ship.

They are not allowed in the Marine Park in Belize either.
The reason I like to wear them is to protect my manicured nails. So sorry. I know it seems like a poor reason, but I like to have nice nails. I do not put them in my pockets and put them on once underwater.
I respect the reef. I just like it better when I can wear them.

While its true some may get touchy feely when they wear gloves, the majority of divers wear them for protection or warmth or both, not as a license to destroy the underwater environment.

While I would never condone touching coral with or without gloves, I dont think we need to be regulated. The scuba industry has done a pretty good job of self-regulation and this is just one more instance of were we should step up to the bat and make sure we provide students with the necessary skills and education to prevent this distructive behavior.

If we use banning gloves as a excuse to protect the coral, the next thing you know they will be banning wetsuits.. Wouldnt want you bumping into the coral you know!! You just might be a little more careful if you bump into it now huh?! huh?! Hell lets just ban fins to.. damn pesky divers always kicking that coral, hell why were at it.. lets just ban diving.. (sarcasim).

Personally I always wear gloves. In cold water for warmth, and in warm water for protection from small jellyfish mostly (I hate those things :)

Ryan Stone
IDCS

Newhampster once bubbled...
I've dived with buddies (picked at random) who have the same bad, insensitive attitudes expressed here ("I'll stick my gloves in my BC pocket and put them on as soon as I'm under water...")

What a stinky attitude!

And their hands are all over things! Picking up critters, shells, and so forth. And touching coral, sponge and other stuff...

Why does my desire to wear gloves imply that my bouyancy control is poor, and/or I'm insensitive to the marine life?

The coral is going to die if I touch it, with or without gloves... what's the difference?

There are many _many_ reasons to wear gloves when diving. The only reason to not [aside of thermal comfort] is this quasi-insulting belief that I need to be exposed to be careful.

Your life doesn't depend on your wearing gloves but the life of the corals and other things you touch is threatened by your touching them and wearing gloves means you are much more likely to hurt or kill them.

HUH?????

Come dive with me somtime at my home divesite.
Ill introduce you too the portugese manowar, and let one of them drift passed you and accidently brush your bare hands.

You may change your attitude a little.

Dave

Spectre said...
Why does my desire to wear gloves imply that my buoyancy control is poor and/or I'm insensitive to the marine life?

Why do you want to wear gloves?

Z

Newhampster once bubbled...
wearing gloves means you are much more likely to hurt or kill them.

Excuse me? Please explain the logic in this statement.

Poor buoyancy and poorly trained divers with little to no knowledge of coral reef ecology and poor buoyancy skills are what kill reefs.

Divers who wear gloves are not any more likely to damage the reefs as a result of their glove-wearing habits.

Zept once bubbled...
Why do you want to wear gloves?

The reason that should suffice everyone is that I'm more comfortable with gloves on... I stated that in my original post. However I'm sure that isn't going to appease everyone.

Asking why I want to wear gloves is sort of like asking why one would carry a cutting device... In case you need it.

Some 'uses' for gloves that come to mind are... jellyfish, ropes, cleaning up lost fishing gear, protection from the damn triggerfish that like to snack on my fingers...

I'd rather have gloves on and not need them, than not have gloves when I do need them...

King Kong Matt once bubbled...
Divers who wear gloves are not any more likely to damage the reefs as a result of their glove-wearing habits.

"Gloves don't kill reefs, Bad divers kill reefs!"
"Wearing gloves is not a crime!"

and then the non PC bumper sticker:

"You can take my gloves when you pry them off the cold dead coral"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom