Gloves from now on!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When in Cayman a few weeks back I was using a mooring line to ascend after a dive and do my stop when I felt a burning sensation on my hand. The reaction was to let go and grab on with my other hand. Bad Idea. The guide that was with us knocked my hand off the line and started knocking everyone else off as well.

A closer inspection shown small fire coral developing the length of the line. In Cayman, Gloves are illegal so needless to say we got stung.

The burn and sting went away within an hour and the redness diminished a few days later. BUT, a week after returning home I started developing nasty blisters under the skin that never broke the surface on any portion of my hand that had touched the rope. Now weeks later I have red painful sores that don't seem to get better. Benedryl help and Cortisone doesn’t do much.

Yes I have an appointment with a dermatologist and no I am not asking for a diagnosis but only wanted to relay this itchy experience.

From now on it’s to heck with the law’s or rules. I will have gloves in my BC and they can spank me if they wish.

I have to agree with you 100%. I think the "no glove rule" on the reef is stupid.
Wear the gloves and don't touch is my rule.

dlndavid:
I have to agree with you 100%. I think the "no glove rule" on the reef is stupid.
Wear the gloves and don't touch is my rule.
Yep, except that many Ops will not let you off the boat with gloves. I've heard that the Caymans are really hot on this.

I think LavaSurfer has the reasonable approach. Carry them in your BC pocket, then put them on toward the end of the dive to wear on the mooring line - which may also have barnacles, fish hooks, etc. A hostile DM cannot fault you for that.

DandyDon:
Yep, except that many Ops will not let you off the boat with gloves. I've heard that the Caymans are really hot on this.

I think LavaSurfer has the reasonable approach. Carry them in your BC pocket, then put them on toward the end of the dive to wear on the mooring line - which may also have barnacles, fish hooks, etc. A hostile DM cannot fault you for that.

Choose your destinations and dive ops accordingly.

awap:
Choose your destinations and dive ops accordingly.

Or just absolutely perfect your buoyancy skills.

If you don't touch, you don't need gloves.

If you wear gloves, you'll touch the reef.

It's that simple.

Mooring lines? Use those paperclip thingies that they sell to the tech divers.

Or, pull that right hand glove out of your bc and wear it for the occasion.

Two weeks ago I absolutely shamed two divers on our Philippines trip out of their gloves.

One of them said: OW! That hurt when I touched that "dead spot" on the reef.

Bought a clue, did he?

Two weeks ago I absolutely shamed two divers on our trip out of their gloves.

One of them said: OW! That hurt when I touched the thingie on the reef.
I think we all agree to not touch the reef. Your guy who did was wrong.

Perfect buoyancy skills are nice, but when I have a mooring line - I prefer to use it for extra cautions on ascending slowly. I also carry a jon-line in case the 15 foot level gets crowded and there is too much current for a swimming ascent. I see nothing wrong with keeping the gloves in the BC pocket and donning them for the ascent. Also good protection on the ladder.

RoatanMan:
Or just absolutely perfect your buoyancy skills.
If you don't touch, you don't need gloves.
If you wear gloves, you'll touch the reef.
It's that simple.

It's not that simple. I agree that perfect buoyancy is best but things happen as do sea lice, jelly fish etc. etc. etc.

Making the statement that if I have gloves on I will touch the reef is not true. I agree that there are idiots out there that would but I am not one of them. The Glove law is a typical human reaction and makes no sense. Punish those that do touch, educate to the effect and peaople might stop touching the reefs. My guess is that the damage done is due to a lack of education and ignorance than pure malice.

I could have maintained buoyance at 15 ft and been fine but there were some currents and the guide wanted us all to stay together. This was a training dive.

In a perfect world I would just dive naked, well maybe a speedo :wink: but its not a perfect world and there are some nasty things in the water that can getcha. I wear a skin and gloves now and I don't touch things reguardless.

Its like insurance. I have home owners insurance and I sure wouldn't light my house on fire intentionally but it did burn down and I was covered.

In a perfect world I would just dive naked, well maybe a speedo but its not a perfect world and there are some nasty things in the water that can getcha. I wear a skin and gloves now and I don't touch things reguardless.
I've met people who dive naked. I don't think they like to swim close to eels, triggers, baracudas. I like a long skin or long suit, light weight socks if I use low cut booties, and I'm going to carry gloves in my BC.

Its like insurance. I have home owners insurance and I sure wouldn't light my house on fire intentionally but it did burn down and I was covered.
Also ry not building so close to moving lava. :D

RoatanMan:
Two weeks ago I absolutely shamed two divers on our Philippines trip out of their gloves.

One of them said: OW! That hurt when I touched that "dead spot" on the reef.

Bought a clue, did he?

So the next dive he will :) :

1. Not wear gloves and not touch the reef
2. Wear gloves and touch the ......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom