gloves 3 mm vs 5mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking purchasing gloves, diving anywhere from 50 F and up. I have never dove with gloves before as I have only down warm water diving and have not had a need to do such. I do not get cold easy (natural insulation!!!). How much dexterity do you loose by increasing to a 5 mm glove? Is it worth it to get the extra warmth? I would like to take pictures with my underwater camera (ikelite housing) and I have the feeling that I would not be able to use the camera with 5 mm gloves. I would like a "one-thickness fits all" and am tempted to get the 3mm, but would I regret it and get very cold at the lower temps. Would I be better off to get the 5mm, and then a pair of reef gloves when the temp is higher and use them to use the camera with?

Look at a pair of hyperstretch gloves by henderson, i use the 7MM and they are so stretchy that it feels like a 5 mm to me. So if you want dexterity and are choosing between a 3 mm and 5mm, try a hyperstretch 5mm.

you can also go with a lobster claw in a 3 or 5, which will retain heat better than a 5-fingered glove.

I am looking purchasing gloves, diving anywhere from 50 F and up.

50F and up covers a LOT of ground. Huge difference between even 50F and 60F.

For 50F I can't imagine anything less than 5mm.

Then again, I've never ended a dive thinking "Gosh, I wish my hands were colder!"

At least 5, I wear 7 50 and below.
Thats even close to dry gloves.

Then again, I've never ended a dive thinking "Gosh, I wish my hands were colder!"

:laughing:

Very funny !!

carbon

I have 5mm Henderson hyperstretch. Lots of flexibility. If you want to even think you are feeling your fingers, go for the thicker glove.

I use 1mm tropical gloves year round in the gulf, OK down to as low as 57. I hit the Pelham quarry last saturday, water was 54 & I used some 3mm XS Scuba bug gloves that I have & was OK.

It all comes down to personal preference & tolerance to cold. Kind of need to just try some & see how you do. I'm willing to have my hands a little cold -so long as I can use them- rather than put up with real thick gloves.

I am looking purchasing gloves, diving anywhere from 50 F and up. I have never dove with gloves before as I have only down warm water diving and have not had a need to do such. I do not get cold easy (natural insulation!!!). How much dexterity do you loose by increasing to a 5 mm glove? Is it worth it to get the extra warmth? I would like to take pictures with my underwater camera (ikelite housing) and I have the feeling that I would not be able to use the camera with 5 mm gloves. I would like a "one-thickness fits all" and am tempted to get the 3mm, but would I regret it and get very cold at the lower temps. Would I be better off to get the 5mm, and then a pair of reef gloves when the temp is higher and use them to use the camera with?

SeaSoft make excellent gloves. Their TI series gloves have thinner insulation in the thumb and for-finger to improve dexterity. They also have the fingers pre-curved to the natural shape of the hand/finger structure.

I have three sets of these gloves.

TI Edge 5mm (thumb and for finger 3 mm)
TI Edge Pro (same as above but with Kevlar)
TI Edge 3 mm (thumb and for finger 1.5 mm)

SeaSoft Scuba Products

At 50 F I would go with the 5 mm gloves.

I find that my hands do not tend to be a problem with 3mm gloves. I use a 7.6.5 Tilos superstretch platinum fullsuit with a 5mm boots and hood. I was diving last weekend in 49*F water at Lake Pleasant. No numbing for a 27 minute second dive of the day and could have gone longer but don't like to push it in the cold. (I prefer warm water but dive cold to stay practiced and do training)
I think if the rest of your body is kept warm your hands will be ok with thinner gloves and you'll have a better sense of feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom