gloves 3 mm vs 5mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Time is the huge factor.
If your doing 20 and 30 minute dives you can get away with less.
I can do 30 minutes with temps in the 30's with wet gloves, after that it gets painfull.
After 60 minutes, your really wishing you used dry gloves and have issues gettting out of your gear.

I dove my new 5mm gloves for the first time today in 49 degree water and my hands did not get to cold. Last week in the same water I used reef gloves and my hands went numb. Do you lose dexterity with the 5mm gloves, yes but its not much worse then trying to fumble around with numb fingers. I think it would be worth the investment buy a couple of pairs. After shopping around and hitting some sales I got both my 5mm and 1.5mm for a total of $30.

I am looking purchasing gloves, diving anywhere from 50 F and up. I have never dove with gloves before as I have only down warm water diving and have not had a need to do such. I do not get cold easy (natural insulation!!!). How much dexterity do you loose by increasing to a 5 mm glove? Is it worth it to get the extra warmth? I would like to take pictures with my underwater camera (ikelite housing) and I have the feeling that I would not be able to use the camera with 5 mm gloves. I would like a "one-thickness fits all" and am tempted to get the 3mm, but would I regret it and get very cold at the lower temps. Would I be better off to get the 5mm, and then a pair of reef gloves when the temp is higher and use them to use the camera with?

I am a videographer and only use 3mm gloves for that reason. If I am diving in water below 70 degrees I always wear gloves. I have 5mm gloves and never wear them except between dives back on the boat to warm my hands back up. I guess I am will to suffer a little for my art! I guess I should look at the 5mm Hyperstretch gloves to see if they are better than the ones I have.

I don't like thick gloves, I'd rather be cold than lost the dexterity. But as someone mentioned it depends on time in the water. I'm doing rec diving and in the water generally 60 minutes or less but if I was doing deco I'd probably go with the warmth. I've seen people slit the forefinger and thumb of thicker gloves so they can get their fingers out to fiddle with something, then close them back up. Obviously you lose a bit of insulation protection but it's a compromise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom