Glove promo is over/post reviews here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9-14

Webbed gloves have been around for quite some time - in fact Leonardo DaVinci described them in the late 1400's - yet no agency has changed their view on the use of webbed gloves for diving. I think we can agree that 500+ years is a more-than-sufficient evaluation period.

Ah, but da Vinci was also the first to think of what eventually became known as the helicopter Leonardo da Vinci helicopter - development history, photos, technical data. The man was was a visionary and a genius, and some of his ideas were hundreds of years ahead of the technological means that eventually saw them to fruition. However, if we are going to talk about dead white inventors I think that Edison might be a better example. It took him thousands of attempts to create his light bulb, three thousand to get the design down and several thousand more in order to find the best material for the job.Edison's Lightbulb at The Franklin Institute

Sometimes it takes a while to discover the optimal materials for a given application.

Last edited:
I am not a DIR diver and have little interest in trying these. So, you needn't go much further.

You have tremendous amounts of strength in your legs. Using your arms to proprel yourself underwater takes more effort than using your legs and you therefore will consume more air and run the risk of CO2 build-up. This is actually a very dangerous thing.

I do not believe the should be used in mainstream SCUBA however, just following your thought process I will play along. If a diver were to use them only for minor adjustments and not as an added means of propulsion, then the only harm I see is the loss of dexterity. This can somewhat be compensated for however I do not believe one can overcome it altogether and unfortunately this would likely not show until the poop hits the preverbial fan.

I will continue to try and remain open to new concepts however for these reasons and others that remain unstated, I just do not see these being a good idea for a scuba diver.

I appreciate your concern, but I was really only addressing one specific diver in that post. I realize that most divers aren't DIR and that there are plenty of other objections but I was curious if that might have been the case here.

One thing that I was wondering though. Did you think that I was picturing divers using these gloves to freestyle their way along at depth? Because that certainly wasn't the point that I was trying to make (although the mental imagery is quite funny!). What I meant to say was that they are great for fine position adjustment and for occasional bursts of thrust (think spearos or finding yourself in a current or outswimming your buddy as the shark closes in :wink:) by utilizing them as a compliment to your fins.

I fully agree with you that just like any tool out there there are going to be individuals and situations encountered in which this product would not be of much use, but I also believe that there are plenty of applications for them as well.

One of the major reasons that I see a lot of promise in these gloves is that I am a disabled veteran and I have plenty of friends who are much worse off than I am who are either missing limbs or are paraplegic. These gloves can help open a world up to them in which they can regain a sense of the independence that they've lost.

All I'm asking is that we all give Roy a fair unbiased evaluation of his product and as much constructive feedback as a diving community as we can so that he can improve it as much as possible. Sure some folks can get by just fine without them, but for others these could make a world of difference. For anyone that wants to knock them without trying them just imagine if you woke up one day after having a normal life and found yourself completely dependent on someone else for your every need. Wouldn't you want to grab onto anything that could give you back even a little bit of your autonomy back if only for an hour at a time?

Also if a non-disabled dive finds good use for them as well, I say great!

One of the major reasons that I see a lot of promise in these gloves is that I am a disabled veteran and I have plenty of friends who are much worse off than I am who are either missing limbs or are paraplegic. These gloves can help open a world up to them in which they can regain a sense of the independence that they've lost.

No one has disputed this as a perfectly appropriate use for these gloves.

In fact most have said it several times.

All I'm asking is that we all give Roy a fair unbiased evaluation of his product.....

I am simply not willing to pay the duties and/or taxes to get them into the country so I will have to do what can be done....go by my own experience. That is as close to a fair evaluation as I can offer you or Roy. I have never cut up the product. I have always said there are definitely markets for them but have provided the flip sides of the coin to some arguments that have been put forward that I felt were not solid. There is nothing aggressive in my posts and I am simply providing honest and fair input. That is what you are asking for. If people do not want the see both sides then they are not looking for a fair evaluation.

I am simply not willing to pay the duties and/or taxes to get them into the country so I will have to do what can be done....go by my own experience. That is as close to a fair evaluation as I can offer you or Roy. I have never cut up the product. I have always said there are definitely markets for them but have provided the flip sides of the coin to some arguments that have been put forward that I felt were not solid. There is nothing aggressive in my posts and I am simply providing honest and fair input. That is what you are asking for. If people do not want the see both sides then they are not looking for a fair evaluation.

So, what size are your hands? :popcorn:

In fact most have said it several times.

Sorry guys, that wasn't the point that I was attempting to make. What I was going for was that we as a community should try these out and provide constructive feedback to Roy so that he can fine tune them as much as possible. You don't ever have to wear them again once you've provided your input to Roy, although, from the sounds of it there are plenty of testers out there who will be retaining their test pairs. Just think of it as providing a service to the disabled community. Your help will assist those who would otherwise be unable to dive. Now based off of that line of reasoning would anyone be against testing them out?

Back
Top Bottom