Global Warming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who can argue with 100 years of solid scientific consensus?

Date: Oct. 7, 1912
Publication: New York Times
Quote: Prof. Schmidt Warns Us of an Encroaching Ice Age
Comment: Still encroaching…

Date: June 28, 1923
Publication: Los Angeles Times
Quote: The possibility of another Ice Age already having started… is admitted by men of first rank in the scientific world, men specially qualified to speak.
Comment: Must be a slow starter.

Date: Aug. 9, 1923
Publication: Chicago Tribune
Quote: Scientist says Arctic ice will wipe out Canada
Comment: Still there last time we checked.

Date: December 1932
Publication: The Atlantic
Quote: We must be just teetering on an ice age which some relatively mild geologic action would be sufficient to start going.
Comment: Still teetering.

Date: Feb. 20, 1969
Publication: New York Times from Col. Bernt Bachen
Quote: The Arctic pack ice is thinning and that the ocean at the North Pole may become an open sea within a decade or two.
Comment: Santa still is safe.

Date: February 1974
Publication: Fortune magazine from Reid Bryson
Quote: There is very important climatic change going on right now… It is something that, if it continues, will affect the whole human occupation of the earth – like a billion people starving.
Comment: World population increased by 2.5 billion.

Date: March 1, 1975
Publication: Science News
Quote: The cooling since 1940 has been large enough and consistent enough that it will not soon be reversed, and we are unlikely to quickly regain the “very extraordinary period of warmth” that preceded it.
Comment: If “not soon be reversed” means “reversed by the next decade,” then yes.

Quote: The temperature has already fallen back some 0.6 degrees, and shows no sign of reversal.
Comment: So much for climatologists reading the signs correctly.

Date: July-August 1975
Publication: International Wildlife
Quote: But the sense of the discoveries is that there is no reason why the ice age should not start in earnest in our lifetimes.
Comment: There’s still time.

Date: 1992
Publication: Al Gore, “Earth in the Balance”
Quote: About 10 million residents of Bangladesh will lose their homes and means of sustenance because of the rising sea level, due to global warming, in the next few decades.
Comment: While periodic monsoons still cause flooding, rising seas have not been a problem.

Date: Feb. 2, 2006
Publication: The Daily Telegraph
Quote: “Billions will die,” says Lovelock, who tells us that he is not normally a gloomy type. Human civilisation will be reduced to a “broken rabble ruled by brutal warlords”, and the plague-ridden remainder of the species will flee the cracked and broken earth to the Arctic, the last temperate spot, where a few breeding couples will survive.haha

great post. like i said earlier, the more we know, the more we have no idea. i know it is cliche, but quite fitting.:dancingsnoopy:

None of this stuff matters ...according to the History Channel and of course legions of copper age prognostications ...not the least of which is the Mayan Calendar the earth will indeed come to an end in 2012 ...thus negating anthropogenic global warming , global cooling, acid rain and ozone depletion. Now please... excuse me while I kiss the sky!

None of this stuff matters ...according to the History Channel and of course legions of copper age prognostications ...not the least of which is the Mayan Calendar the earth will indeed come to an end in 2012 ...thus negating anthropogenic global warming , global cooling, acid rain and ozone depletion. Now please... excuse me while I kiss the sky!
Acid rain is now not a problem, because we are resolved by prohibiting of sulphur, and ozone depletion by prohibiting of CFC, but global warming problem is not yet resolved.

As a geologist who has a fairly sound understanding of the earths climate pattern over the last few billion years I can state:

There has been periods where there has been no ice on the planet.

There have been periods where there has been huge ice sheets covering most land masses (and we are still not fully sure how they melted as the albedo effect reflects heat).

At the moment the earth is gradually warming as it moves from the last age, over 10,000 years ago. Superimposed on this pattern you have sharp negative spikes (cooling) caused by volcanic eruptions (volcanic dust blocks sun light and can cause 'little ice ages'). Mt Pinatubo in the Philippines cooled the earth by an appreciable degree for a number years after its eruption in 1991, while bigger historic eruptions such as Santorini and Krakatoa (to name the better known ones) had even greater effects. However: no one can give a plausible natural explanation for the sudden spike in warming that we have seen in the last 50 years or so.

Very few scientists doubt that man-made global warming is occurring, and it is sad that in the US the current government uses its power over budgets for various scientific organisations to stifle debate on the matter and bully exponents of global warming into compliance.

Cheers,
Rohan.

wow, this is just plain idiotic. :rofl3: ultimate scare tactics. like i said earlier, the sun is putting off more radiation than in the past, and we are seeing warmer temperatures. hmm, let's put two and two together.

First - you're not a Creationist are you? I just need to now if its worth bothering with facts, or if you just believe everything you're told that supports your belief system.

There is a huge body of work done detailing the history of the Earths climate, particularly sea temperatures, over the last billion years or so, with a great deal of focus on the Tertiary (the last 65 million years) and particularly the Quaternary (the last 1.8 million years). Can you please point me in the direction of a single paper that has someone measuring the degree of solar output over the last 65 million years? the last 10,000 years? The last 5000 years? The last 200 years? Please? If not then how do you back up your claim?

The history of the earths climate shows gradual warming and cooling over the periods of 10,000's to 10's of millions of years, and short term (10-100's of years) cooling periods that can be linked with natural phenomena. But the sudden spike in temps over the last 50 years has no geological precedence.

20-30 years ago scientists were positive that the poles would switch.

And we are still completely sure the magentic poles will switch: magnetic north becomes magnetic south and and magentic south becomes magnetic north: these magnetic reversals occur every 50,000 to 500,000 years or so and we are way overdue for one. Just how quicky one occurs we're not sure - the last one occured when we were still banging the rocks together

Cheers,
Dr Rohan.

Thanks Tassie. It's nice to hear from people who actually know what they are talking about, rather than just posting bits and pieces Googled from wherever.

As for the rising sea levels in Bangladesh not being a problem. Tell that to the people who have already lost their homes and land, according to the experts, due to sea level rises.

But they must be imagining it right? Because it isn't happening so they must be making it up! :shakehead:

Who can argue with 100 years of solid scientific consensus?

Date: Oct. 7, 1912
Publication: New York Times
Quote: Prof. Schmidt Warns Us of an Encroaching Ice Age
Comment: Still encroaching…

Date: June 28, 1923
Publication: Los Angeles Times
Quote: The possibility of another Ice Age already having started… is admitted by men of first rank in the scientific world, men specially qualified to speak.
Comment: Must be a slow starter.

Date: Aug. 9, 1923
Publication: Chicago Tribune
Quote: Scientist says Arctic ice will wipe out Canada
Comment: Still there last time we checked.

Date: December 1932
Publication: The Atlantic
Quote: We must be just teetering on an ice age which some relatively mild geologic action would be sufficient to start going.
Comment: Still teetering.

Date: Feb. 20, 1969
Publication: New York Times from Col. Bernt Bachen
Quote: The Arctic pack ice is thinning and that the ocean at the North Pole may become an open sea within a decade or two.
Comment: Santa still is safe.

Date: February 1974
Publication: Fortune magazine from Reid Bryson
Quote: There is very important climatic change going on right now… It is something that, if it continues, will affect the whole human occupation of the earth – like a billion people starving.
Comment: World population increased by 2.5 billion.

Quote: The cooling since 1940 has been large enough and consistent enough that it will not soon be reversed, and we are unlikely to quickly regain the “very extraordinary period of warmth” that preceded it.
Comment: If “not soon be reversed” means “reversed by the next decade,” then yes.

Quote: The temperature has already fallen back some 0.6 degrees, and shows no sign of reversal.
Comment: So much for climatologists reading the signs correctly.

Date: July-August 1975
Publication: International Wildlife
Quote: But the sense of the discoveries is that there is no reason why the ice age should not start in earnest in our lifetimes.
Comment: There’s still time.

Date: 1992
Publication: Al Gore, “Earth in the Balance”
Quote: About 10 million residents of Bangladesh will lose their homes and means of sustenance because of the rising sea level, due to global warming, in the next few decades.
Comment: While periodic monsoons still cause flooding, rising seas have not been a problem.

Date: Feb. 2, 2006
Publication: The Daily Telegraph
Quote: “Billions will die,” says Lovelock, who tells us that he is not normally a gloomy type. Human civilisation will be reduced to a “broken rabble ruled by brutal warlords”, and the plague-ridden remainder of the species will flee the cracked and broken earth to the Arctic, the last temperate spot, where a few breeding couples will survive.haha
If you are going to just cut and paste from somewhere it's good form to cite your source:
BMI Special Report -- Fire and Ice :eyebrow:

Otherwise it's just plagiarism! :wink:

Oh.....and just so we know who is really producing this....
Business & Media Institute - SourceWatch

Of course......I'm sure they can't be biased........I mean....we should TRUST each other right? :rofl3:

Rrrrrright........:coffee:

I love the 'publications' in that -

New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Atlantic, Fortune magazine, International Wildlife, etc. From such noted researchers as Col. Bernt Bachen.

Not a single credible peer-reviewed journal.

Individual loons can mouth off about whatever they want, and newpapers will print just about anything as long as it sells. The ‘End of the World’ does sell papers I guess.

But real science - the stuff that takes decades to build up to a consensus using hundreds if not thousands of peer-reviewed observations and experiments: that’s just too boring or too hard to deal with isn't it? The data recorded in thousands of ice cores and deep marine sediments is just too dry and difficult to understand isn’t it? Better to quote some loons in the newpaper and give yourself a big smug hug for your cleverness?

Like the creationist thread people cling to one or two cherished myths, or the words of anyone who will spout any garbage they can, in order to – well: I have no idea why....

I read in the paper that Elvis was recently spotted alive and well in his UFO as well.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Kind of funny all the quoted newspaper articles, apart from the last two recent bits that sensationalise global warming, predate the main results of the deep sea drilling project (which provided deep marine sediments from around the world) and the various ice drilling projects. This research (and countless others) helped build a continuous record of climate during the Holocene and Quaternary, from tens of thousands of sources, on which the foundation of climate change studies are built.

Why it that?

Bit like saying radiation does not exist and quoting Pythagoras.

Or rather - stating radiation does not exist and for evidence quoting a loon in The Times newpaper from the early 1800's.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Prof. Patrick Micheals - U of Virginia
Har har. Patrick Michaels has had all his research conveniently funded by Virginia coal companies, and is decried by many climatologists as the poster-child for the paid-off dancing bear of sticking one's fingers in one's ears.

I'll only comment on that, as the vast majority of this is empty chest-beating and rhetoric. Yes, Kyoto is a European plot to destroy the American economy, Al Gore actually is a communist spy, crude oil should be fed to children at breakfast to strengthen their bones and warm their engines before playtime, and the clearcutting of the rainforests creates invaluable grassland ecosystems.

I'm gonna go buy a V12 and burn my old tires. Hope this discussion gets better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom