Global warming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a. there is no doubt that global warming is happening

b. there is some doubt as to what extent humanity is contributing to this

c. what humanity is doing is not making the world cooler

d. in fact, there's proof that man-made agents (such as CO2 emisions
and halocarbons) are making the world hotter at a greater rate than it is natural
-------------------------------------------

draw your own conclusions

I think anyone who refuses to accept that global warming is real at this point is a complete ostrich. It should be clear to even the biggest idiots that it's real.

What it's *doing* to the planet, however, is still subject to debate. There are cycles in planetary warming and cooling that create big climate changes regardless of what we do. I think at this point we need to address how to accommodate climate change in our culture and society rather than to hold on to the very unrealistic view that if we do nothing that nothing will change.

R..

I think the big question to all this is, does Earth go through normal routine cooling and warming periods which follow 10 or 20,000 year periods? And if so, are we on an inevitable warming trend right now? Or, does Earth go on triggered cooling and warming trends caused by massive volcanic eruptions such as Krakatoa or Pinatubo or the Yuacatan Astroid?

Evidence may point to a warming trend right now but why? This is the big question to me. Is it a linear line or does a warm trend have ups and downs along the way? These are the questions we don't know. I have a let's wait and see attitude about it because there are just too many unknowns.

Diver0001:
I think anyone who refuses to accept that global warming is real at this point is a complete ostrich. It should be clear to even the biggest idiots that it's real.
The problem is that so many people won't allow the two thoughts to be separate. As soon as someone admits that there may be global warming then they are jumped on about what we do as a solution. Like radinator pointed out, even Mars is warming.

m7scuba:
The problem is that so many people won't allow the two thoughts to be separate. As soon as someone admits that there may be global warming then they are jumped on about what we do as a solution. Like radinator pointed out, even Mars is warming.

It cuts both ways. One camp is too willing to accept 100% of the blame and thinks that if we eliminate pollution that we eliminate the 'problem' and the other camp accepts no responsibility and thinks that pollution is irrelevant and spends a lot of energy convincing themselves of the lie.

People walking the middle ground appear to be few and far between.

The simple fact is that climate change is inevitable and the ultimate climate change will happen when our sun blows up. If it's man made or natural it doesn't really matter much. It's going to happen either way. Either we find ways to accommodate it or we go extinct. Darwin is impatient and merciless with species that don't adjust.

The way things are going, all we're really doing with all this disregard for the environment is accelerating the inevitable. We need much bigger solutions if the human race is to survive.

R..

50 years ago it was global cooling...now it's global warming. And back then the pollution was MUCH worse than it is now. If you think L.A. has bad smog now you should have seen it back in the days.

Just like the Ozone layer...remember when that was the "big thing" in the 80's..."holy crap there's a hole in the ozone"....How do we know it was there to begin with? uh..we don't. now we find that the "hole" expands and contracts on what "appears" to be a natural cycle.

I love all the tree huggers and their "sky is falling" mentality.

While were on the topic, lets keep teaching our kids that all the oil comes from dinosaurs that died millions of years ago. :wink:

Take a look at a wider window. There has been NO increase in number or intensity of the storms over the recorded history of them. We were in a low activity part of the cycle, we have now started to enter a high activity portion. The full cycle takes 40 to 50 years.

FT

H2Andy:
a. there is no doubt that global warming is happening

b. there is some doubt as to what extent humanity is contributing to this

c. what humanity is doing is not making the world cooler

d. in fact, there's proof that man-made agents (such as CO2 emisions
and halocarbons) are making the world hotter at a greater rate than it is natural
-------------------------------------------

draw your own conclusions

Re:d. Where is the proof?

Just to throw another oar into the water as this thread seemed to begin with storms, a paleoclimatologist at LSU is shoring up a theory that hurricanes seem to move in 1500 year cycles, and we are at the end of the slow period....

adurso:
Re:d. Where is the proof?

start here:

The chief culprit in global warming is increased atmospheric carbon dioxide from industries and motor vehicles—at 372 parts per million, atmospheric carbon dioxide is now at the highest concentration in at least 420,000 years, as indicated by studies of gases trapped in ancient ice.

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?issueID=74&articleID=1052

the research is out there. if by "proof" you mean "show me where God came
down and said man-made substances are increasing warming," that ain't
happened yet.

Back
Top Bottom