Glo-toob flood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i flooded the fx model on normal 100 ft dive. maybe i didn't screw the battery compartment lid in tight enough though it was sufficiently tight that the light turned on before the dive.

This is the reason I have chosen to not buy a glo-toob. Too many people here have written with flooding problems. These are a new item, and maybe the prob will be fixed soon. But I dont hear people complaing that their UK light cannon (or other established UW light device) flooded. So I think I will still save my money for now. If the product is still available in a couple of years, I may try it then Besides, cylums are still cheap.

Ok, reading the other glo-toob thread brought up a question....

Of all that had thier toobs flood, how many had siliconed the o-rings prior to that dive? Also, do glo-toobs come with lubed o-rings, or do they come dry

fire_diver:
Ok, reading the other glo-toob thread brought up a question....

Of all that had thier toobs flood, how many had siliconed the o-rings prior to that dive? Also, do glo-toobs come with lubed o-rings, or do they come dry

i didn't lube anything... assumed it was dive ready, and it worked fine on a number of other dives prior to the failure.

Gloo-tubes come with dry o-rings.. you need to silicon them.. I forgot on one dive and I have flooded the battery compartment.. no problem.. I caught it at the end of the dive rinsed ti fresh water and all is good. Need to get a new battery for it....... When you first get the glo tube it is supposed to be ready.. but you should always silcone grease any o-ring for dive lights camera housings, before you dive to ensure no Leaks.

Got two for Christmas and they are dry. I knew I bought a tube of silicone grease for some reason. If it leaks I will be sure to send it back till they get it right.
One thing that I noticed is that the o-ring sits way back and really isn't exposed. I was toying with the idea of putting one on the threads.

According to there web page and the emails that I got earlier this year, glo-toobs have been around for a while. They were originally designed for military diving. I am starting to think that there has been a bad batch.

Well, if the O-ring is a tad too small, it wont make a solid contact with both surfaces. Maybe they have recieved a bad batch of O-rings.

Maybe I will get one after all. have to think about it a little more.

update: just got a new battery and my glo-toob fx still works - i rinsed it and cleaned it right after the dive on which the failure occurred, but wasn't able to find a replacement battery in small stores near my resort in puerto galera...

tip: carry a replacement battery with you if you have one of these.

They are expensive little 12volts... I did find the metal tab on the lid corrodid a little and I just too a little sand paper and corrected the problem.... It works fine.

I used several of the basic model and have never had any flood? I guess you never know when lady luck is going to strike... We have dive them many times and several of us have them.. I love the little buggers

Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom