Glo-toob flood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've now flooded a grand total of three glo-toobs in the past year, and while I like their compact size, I'm not sure why I've had this problem. I've kept the O-ring clean, and don't over-twist the switch pin. Could it be leaking through the switch? What do you do to maintain your O-rings, and has anyone else had a leaky toob? Is the FX model that I use more susceptible to flooding?

Mine have never flooded, but I use the "basic" version. Maybe yours come from a defective production lot. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I haven't contacted the manufacturer. I do keep a close eye on the O-rings. I haven't seen a clear cause for the leaks, which have happened on night dives at depths no more than 80 feet. I've read the package instructions, and don't think I'm doing anything particularly wrong.

I bought some of those for my dive shop. I ordered the FX version but received the basic version. I sent that one down to about 85 feet with one of our local divers. It flooded. I returned all the rest I had and I got my money back.

Thanks for the thread. I was about to purchase one of these. Guess I'll save my money for another toy that wont flood.

FD

Fire_diver: I'm not sure that my record with the glo-toobs is representative, but it is worth doing your homework to see what experiences people have had. Having read these boards quite a bit before getting the glo-toobs, I know others have had problems with leaks in a number of types of marker lights, to some degree it comes with the territory. Anyone else with positive or negative comments? And more particularly, tips or suggestions for preserving my one fresh glo-toob, and the sole flooded one that I've salvaged?

I have two glo-tubes ( both from the same batch ) . Haven't had any flood problems and I've taken them to 100 ft depth several times. Both are FX models

I'll keep an eye on them for signs of leaks.

Question: When yours flooded, do they fail to work again ?

I had 2 of those Toobs flood on me in fresh water. They were still working even flooded.
I contacted the manufacturer in South Africa, who forwarded my email to the US distributor, who exchanged them. Didn't take the new ones diving yet though.
At least my experience about their costumer service is very good.

Interesting thread since I am hoping that Santa brings me a couple. When I first looked into the glo-toob I emailed that US distributor and they were really quick on the reply. Didn't realy give me the info that I wanted because of " variations in each tube". FYI, all I wanted was the lumens and such. I was still impressed with the quick reply and the willingness to help.

Of my three flooded toobs, one worked after rinsing, and has some mild corrosion on the terminal inside but with a light sanding and fresh battery it seems okay, but looks bit dimmer than I remember it. The second I didn't notice had flooded (I guess I thought I'd turned it off) and is badly rusted, including the far terminal, which I can't clean. It's a total loss. Number three is in a bin around here somewhere, with a very tight switch pin. That's why I was wondering if the switch on the FX could increase the risk of flooding, because I don't know why the pin should feel tight unless there is corrosion inside its threads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom