Give me an option to turn OFF these ads, PLEASE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a pretty decent setup and the time that I spend waiting for adserve.scubaboard to load drives me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will even do a onetime donation if I can have that option :)

Become a supporter.

I have a pretty decent setup and the time that I spend waiting for adserve.scubaboard to load drives me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will even do a onetime donation if I can have that option :)

It does suck, spearboard and decostop, you click and it opens. I've reached the point where I don't even bother to try and open a message unless it really, really interests me. Too much of a wait for too little content. I hate the way the top ad sits there animating using bandwidth while the message just slogs while it loads.

The issue is not with the ad-server and we are addressing it at the moment. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

It does suck, spearboard and decostop, you click and it opens. I've reached the point where I don't even bother to try and open a message unless it really, really interests me. Too much of a wait for too little content. I hate the way the top ad sits there animating using bandwidth while the message just slogs while it loads.

I noticed the huge difference in the other vbulletion sites also...

For the OP, if you run it Suboard Display in MOBILE mode, you get no adds. only text. Much faster. (just an option).

If the ad at the top is there... then guess what... It loaded. There is no "streaming animation" involved... It loads and animates in 1 "swoop"

The content, number of users online, and size of our database is what slows down the page loads. Sorry we're so popular.

Spearboard - Threads: 60,950, Posts: 685,232, Members: 22,407
ScubaBoard - Threads: 231,110, Posts: 3,190,336, Members: 104,913

The time it takes for the queries IS a factor of the size of the database.

John_B's path to websurfing nirvana*:

If your favorite site :)D) sometimes leaves blank spaces where the ads used to be:

And for good measure, some optional self defense against slow-tastic flash-based content:

* Its not just the annoying ads, its about how slow and they make otherwise fast computers and web browsers. Not to mention that the tracking cookies the ads leave behind.

* Its not so just about the annoying ads themselves, its about how slow and they make otherwise fast computers and web browsers. Not to mention that the tracking cookies the ads leave behind.

Good points.....

I really don't mind the ads here or other websites, but don't like the garbage that comes with them and the slowness.

Ads served by ScubaBoard directly - do not leave tracking cookies.

Back
Top Bottom