Girlie non diving question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had really long hair, down past my waist when I decided I was fed up with taking three hours to wash and dry my hair so I got it all cut up short to my ears. My hairdresser was more upset at the time than I was because I had long red hair that was really soft and shiny. I did end up regretting it after a few weeks and grew it back down past my shoulders but it was never really the same, it never quite got that thickness back so ended up always looking really thin and flyaway. I cut it back up to a layered style which I loved and kept it like that for a couple of years until I decided to try growing it long again which I am doing now. It is badly in need of a cut so the ends are a bit ragged but other than that it is really healthy and shiny.
I swear by Dove moisturising shampoo and conditioner alternating once a week with Revlon Flex to give it a break, but the one product I really swear by is Redken Soft Ends, a moisturiser with advocado oils that you put on the ends of your hair before blow drying to protect them from drying out. It works wonders, I haven't cut my hair in over five months and it's only starting to look ragged now thanks to this product. Its also great to keep a bottle of it with your dive kit and just rub some through the ends after being in the water to stop it drying out and make it really easy to brush.

If you are wary about cutting it short how about getting some nice soft layers aroud the front or cutting in a sweeping fringe, that'll give you a totally diferent style without you losing your hair :wink:

Think of Spectre's hair as a weather insurance policy.

On the DL 2001 trip to Pompano we has some bad weather the first day of the trip. My dive buddy sacrificed about 8" of my son's hair to Posideon with the aid of 3 LEOs and a sharp dive knife.

Perfect weather for the rest of the trip!

FT

and I keep threatening OD that I am going to get it cut. I have been told that I can get a trim but not cut it. Plus I don't like short hair on myself.

When I'm considering different styles, colors, ect. I go to a wig shop and try on different wigs to see what they look like ON ME. My face shape is such that I look drastically different in different styles and lengths. Besides it's fun too.

:martian:

Phish-phood once bubbled...

If you are wary about cutting it short how about getting some nice soft layers aroud the front or cutting in a sweeping fringe, that'll give you a totally diferent style without you losing your hair :wink: [/B]

I'm with you Phish-pood...I've had really really really pixie short hair and really long hair and I like long hair best. With long hair you have so much more flexibility...when I'm working in the garden or working out, I can put it up in a ponytail or tuck it away under a baseball cap. If I'm just hanging out around the house or in a hurry I can braid it. .. long hair can be worn up or down, curly or straight.

Since my hair is thin and fine, I try not to use heat or curlers on it. After I wash and condition, I put a spritz of either Clean or Bath & Body Works Rice Flower and Shea body splash and some Perfect Plus finishing products on my hair, twist it and then role it up wet. I wear it up the first day and then down the second day. Of course if I've been involved in real physical work my hair may get washed every day or sometimes twice a day. As for the twisting, it gives my hair really soft waves and curls -- it just gets too dried out with curling irons and blow dryers.

I usually dive an AGA mask with OTS's Buddy Phone for coms. The AGA is so easy to put on and take off, you don't pull out bunches of hair like you do with other masks. An other added benefit is that it protects your face so you feel a little warmer in cold water. When I do use a regular mask, I put Johnson's Baby detangler on my hair before each dive. I've also found that a beanie is helpful. Since my hair is blond and bleaches out easily I use hair products that have SPF protection. I love Phyto for washing and conditioning and Nick Chavez's Perfect Plus finishing products for the final fufu stuff.

I wear my hair long because I like it that way, it makes me feel good and when you feel good about yourself, you look good. An added bonus is that my SO likes it too. He hates short hair and considers anything shoulder length or less as short. Many of my friends say they don't care about how their mates like their hair, but I do, as I know he cares about my likes and dislikes. There is nothing more intimate and pleasing than after a day of diving together having the person you love wash your hair and then brush it out.

Wristshot once bubbled...
Natasha, if you are interested in an opinion of a guy who is about your same vintage, then here is mine. (I don't pretend to speak for all men, and I do realize that this is in the Women's forum, but here goes anyway)

I LOVE long hair (on women). The longer the better. Don't care about split ends. Late for a date because you are drying your hair? Just let me know and I will forgive you. Want help washing it? OMG. Love the long hair. Love the look and the feel of it. Yes, it gets in the way, but I don't mind because I love long hair. Simple and straight? That's great. Curly and cute? That's a beaut.

Unsolicited Opinion from a California Curmudgeon.

Wristshot

Did I mentioned that I love long hair?
What he said.... please don't cut it!

Last night @ dinner I said to David..'I'm thinking of cutting my hair'.
He turned white, instantly.
I was shocked.
He blurted out, "How short?"
I said, " I don't know yet, why do you care, you never say anything about my hair? Men on scuba board say they love long hair. Do you love long hair?"
He said, "Yes." And lowered his head.
So there you have it. I've been married to a man for 3 1/2 years that never told me he loved long hair. He only tells me when it looks bad. Ha!
I think I'll go for a trim... Thanks again everyone.

Just my two psi. Women and hair??? hmmmmmm I love women with long hair. Blonde red brown black but if it is anything but blonde then they look really good in a sprial curl, the kinky perm thing. I also do alot of rodeoing so the ladies who are in the arena in the mornings with their hair in a baseball cap with the pony hanging out the back looks really nice kinda the girl next door look. Now I have seen and met some ladies with short hair and they look great. but sitting around running your fingers through there hair watching a movie or the way they look out of the corner of their eyes and smile with the hair falling across their face is just kinda nice. but then again I do not have to wash or dry it or worry about all the stuff keeping it healthly. Oh well you ladies need to do what makes you happy. I know going from long hair to the bob thing is like hitting a wall or running out out of air at 130ft but it will grow on everyone and at the same time it will grow out...

did I mention that I REALLY like long hair?

(9 hours later)

So Natasha, (and anyone else still reading ) I had some thoughts about the hair issue while I was driving away from work this evening. Yeah, I think about hair while I am plodding through traffic in Silicon Valley. (how sad is that?)

It occurred to me that I have told some women with short hair that their hair looked cute. And short hair can be cute. I have told a lot of women with long hair that their hair was beautiful. And long hair can be really beautiful. I have never told a woman with short hair that her hair was beautiful. Never. Never thought about it before, but there it is.

So you could ask yourself, what is it that you are going for; "Beautiful" or "cute". Nothing wrong with cute. Cute is good. And for women that are satisfied with cute, that's great. More power to 'em. But is that enough for you? Just askin' . . . just wondering.

Just my two more cents because the Internet is open to everyone.

Wristshot.

PS: Did I mention that I really like long hair?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom