Girl dead, boy injured - Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Information about the lawsuit resulting from this incident may be found in this thread

I’ve just read the account of this accident posted on the FB Scuba Accidents page. While this account of events is compiled by the families lawyers.. if even half of it is true then people should be in jail.

The claim is that this dive shop took a diver with only 4 wet warm water dives… into a cold lake… At night… with no torch … In a dry suit that had no inflator hose, 40lbs of lead in non ditchable form, and then ignored her obvious distress and allowed her to drown. The injured diver was another student who attempted to save the deceased while the instructor and untrained “dive master assistant “ were obliviously swimming in circles looking at compasses.

As I read the account of this incident, I shook my head in disbelief and sadness at the fate of this young woman. How could anyone take a novice diver on an 18m dive in a drysuit without a power inflator - never mind a qualified instructor?

Apparently PADI has changed some requirements for teaching the specialty, I was wondering if it was linked to this event

6FCFB6F9-9CBB-4115-B48C-83B860708EA1.jpeg

Picture from Gareth Lock FB post

Link

Apparently PADI has changed some requirements for teaching the specialty, I was wondering if it was linked to this event

View attachment 767398

Picture from Gareth Lock FB post

Yeaahhhh, there needs to be a lot more changes that need to be made. Like self-certification needs to go.

He also mentioned that the case has just been settled. I’d like more details on that!

Apparently PADI has changed some requirements for teaching the specialty
Ever been to a DUI test dive day?
He also mentioned that the case has just been settled. I’d like more details on that!
Those are usually settled paying more on the agreement that the recipient keeps quiet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom