Girl dead, boy injured - Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting that the recent news clip seems to think David Colcannon is the attorney. Pretty sure that is an inadvertent mispelling: David G. Concannon
It is. I am probably going to send another letter to the AUSA and the USAG.
What the US attorney in Montana did is disgusting.

Interesting that the recent news clip seems to think David Colcannon is the attorney. Pretty sure that is an inadvertent mispelling: David G. Concannon

That is correct and I propagated the misspelling. I corrected my post. But yes, that is the same well known defense attorney who has been involved in many, many scuba-related cases for decades. Hopefully the prosecutors will listen to the points he is raising and take another look.

Hopefully discussion on this incident will not go away. We have had incredible discussions here, over the years, but this one is so bad that it needs to used to teach and to prevent another incident like it from ever happening again.

I wonder if multiple dive accident cases were reopened, we would find that the "expert", "Instructor", "guide", "buddy" etc., had misrepresented themselves as better or more experienced than they actually were. Regardless of agency standards, there is a duty of care that the leader or authority or professional is bound to uphold.
There were many layers of neglect in this tragic story in Montana. Some are in direct violation of PADI's Standards at the time. Others were illegal activities. Others were just poor decision making. Any one of the below problems should have been the reason to cancel the dives that day.

Park was closed. No permit to dive (illegal) Cancel
Sun was down and it was getting dark (Poor decision making, outside scope of dive course) Cancel
Students not familiar with equipment (violates PADI standard, poor decision) Cancel
Equipment not functioning properly. No inflator hose. (violates PADI standards, negligent decision) Cancel
No pre dive safety check (violates PADI standards, negligent decision) Cancel
No Dive briefing (the discussion should have kept them out of the water, violates standards and is negligent) Cancel
No pre dive weight check (violates standards, inexperience, negligence) Cancel
No bubble check (inexperience, poor decision, violates many agency standards) Cancel
Weights stuffed in non ditchable pockets (negligence, violates PADI standards) Cancel
Inappropriate student to Instructor ratio (violates PADI standards, inexperience, overconfidence) Cancel
No direct supervision by instructor (violates PADI standards) Cancel
Inadequate Instructor experience (overconfidence, poor decisions, negligence due to lying about ability) Cancel

The Instructor should have had the ability to respond to the distressed student (at 85') and get her safely to the surface, even if unconscious. She was not an experienced instructor, and especially not experience cold water and drysuit instructor.
Students should vet their potential Instructors. What kind of experience do they REALLY have?
How many dives and where have they dived? What kind of gear and what kind of conditions?
How many students have they certified?
How many have they not allowed to be certified? Wouldn't sign paperwork?
How many students will be in the class?
Have some thorough discussions with the person who is responsible for teaching students how to dive responsibly where there is no air to breathe!

*Even the little Bios next to the names of Scubaboard members gives the option of showing # of dives. Any bets on how many people embellish this?

I plan to come back on here in a few days and answer questions if anybody is interested. If so, just respond with questions and I will answer what I can.

David Concannon, the attorney, not the Irish potato dish. ☘️

I plan to come back on here in a few days and answer questions if anybody is interested. If so, just respond with questions and I will answer what I can.

David Concannon, the attorney, not the Irish potato dish. ☘️
In the second ammended complaint, there is text to the effect that the deceased's drysuit zipper was not fully zipped closed. Could you elaborate on when and how that was noted, during the dive preparation or after the victim was recovered?

Thanks.

In the second ammended complaint, there is text to the effect that the deceased's drysuit zipper was not fully zipped closed. Could you elaborate on when and how that was noted, during the dive preparation or after the victim was recovered?

Thanks.
The dry suit zipper was open approximately two inches. This was noted post-recovery.

Also, Linnea's clothing was soaked through with water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom