Ginnie Springs - Untrained Diver Dies in Cave at night.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle:
No comment. Actually I don't know - the swim through didn't bother me but it did one student who bolted out the entrance. Other people I've mentioned it to were shocked that they took a couple of us through considering we were just certified in OW the day before at Devils Den. I think this person did it because they thought we could handle the swim through. We only stopped inside the cave just for a minute to just turn our heads and look around then we swam out. We were getting certified in our navigation that day and the vis outside the cave was only 5ft.

Umm not to be mean, but NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!! You did a trust me dive with an instructor that you don't even know if they were an instructor for overheads. you said "We only stopped inside the cave just for a minute to just turn our heads and look around then we swam out." the last people I know that did that, only look a little bit in DIED!

Wendy,

I know, I know, I know. I'll definitely take your advice. No offense taken. I guess maybe this teacher thought the same thing and that he could just peep in and get out. One of my faults that i'm getting over - I use to be too trusting.

So what do you think about us doing some of our check out dives (2) at Devils Den? This was our first dive outside of the pool and I think some students were a little apprehensive about being in there. We were on a platform while doing skills.

suthnbelle:
Wendy,

I know, I know, I know. I'll definitely take your advice. No offense taken. I guess maybe this teacher thought the same thing and that he could just peep in and get out. One of my faults that i'm getting over - I use to be too trusting.

So what do you think about us doing some of our check out dives (2) at Devils Den? This was our first dive outside of the pool and I think some students were a little apprehensive about being in there. We were on a platform while doing skills.

I haven't actually dived there. I tried once, with a buddy who went somewhere dark in there, i was new, less than 10 dives, and I did not follow him. It was beyond my comfort and what I felt, my training as well. I signaled with my light, waited for a min and then surfaced. He surfaced and I was mad as heck. And I left, never went back there.

Thanks for not being mad. We are all allowed to make a mistake and you learned from yours. Sadly some divers make a mistake and it costs them their life.

suthnbelle:
So what do you think about us doing some of our check out dives (2) at Devils Den?

Devil's Den is mostly open water. you have to go under the ledges
a ways before you're in overhead.

my guess is you guys did your checkout dives in the (large)
open water section and didn't go into overhead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom