Ginnie Springs Campground

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going for my Cavern training with Johnny Richards in late April. I am considering staying at the Ginnie Springs Campground with a buddy in a tent and expedition hammock.

Does anyone have any experience staying there?

Are the bugs bad in April/ May?

Local restaurants close by?

Tips?

I appreciate any and all comments that help or even stories about the campground to give me a good feel of what to expect.:popcorn:

You may want to post over in the cave diving forum. There are also a couple of recent threads in that forum about places to stay. I'm headed there myself Friday.

I just posted it there. How can I close this one?

I too may be interested in camping at Ginnie Springs. So far I've been staying at the High Springs Country Inn. I recommend them. I have always gotten a good night's sleep there. They cater to divers. It costs $46 including tax for one person with one large comfortable bed.

I am going for my Cavern training with Johnny Richards in late April. I am considering staying at the Ginnie Springs Campground with a buddy in a tent and expedition hammock.

Does anyone have any experience staying there?

Are the bugs bad in April/ May?

Local restaurants close by?

Tips?

I appreciate any and all comments that help or even stories about the campground to give me a good feel of what to expect.:popcorn:

Camping at that time of year should be fine...... It don't start getting hot until June/July/Aug. Not in the rainy season yet so bugs shouldn't be bad either.

I haven't camped there in quite a few years so can't comment about how it recently is but it used to be a nice place. As far as restaurants go...... the local favorite is in High Springs a little north of Ginnie. It used to be called Floyd's but last time I was by there it had changed names so can't speak of new owner's.

The old Floyd's is now called the Fleetwood Diner. It's very good, we ate there pretty much every day last week. We were staying at the High Springs Country Inn so it was really convenient. The mushroom chicken is really good, i had it twice for dinner.

I've finished Cavern, Intro, and Full Cave - in none of those class would I consider camping at the end of the day. I suspect you will have enough to deal with, without the extra variability that is camping. And I definitely would not want to get woken up by drunk college kids at 2AM.

Does anyone have any experience staying there? Yes

Are the bugs bad in April/ May? Bugs won't be terrible usually, but you might be facing some partiers. It can be loud there at night during summer.

Local restaurants close by? Great Outdoors in High Springs. Fleetwood Diner. Bev's Better Burgers and their cafe down the street. Kazbors in Alachua. Sonny's in alachua. Ginnie deli for lunch

Tips? You will really appreciate a hotel room after a long day diving, but if you enjoy camping it can be done in style at Ginnie. They have electricity if you need it but those sites are further from the water. Can be nice if you have an RV.

Answers written in red in your quote... Good luck! JR is great.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom