Ginnie at night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomfcrist

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
With summertime in full swing, does anyone dive Ginnie at night regularly? I work nights, but have an annual pass so I can get in 24/7. I was wondering if there are any interesting things to look out for when getting a dive in at odd late evening/early morning hours. I’d assume it’s pretty tame during the week…

During the week it's not a big deal. Really all you have to worry about is the same stuff as during the day. Drunk idiots, weed and campfire smells, fights, and theft. There will possibly be people in the run even late at night. For me the biggest issue was always just getting into Ginnie. Some nights you drive right in and they let you through. Some nights nobody's around to let you in or they give you a song and dance about not being able to let divers in at night. I believe that may be resolved now, but about 4 or 5 years ago it was a crapshoot if you'd easily get in or not. Its partly why I don't get an annual pass anymore. The two best parts was skipping the waivers and going anytime you wanted. When it got to be a headache going, there wasn't a reason to drop the money on a pass.
There are also a group of locals that do a weekday night dive together.

During the week it's not a big deal. Really all you have to worry about is the same stuff as during the day. Drunk idiots, weed and campfire smells, fights, and theft. There will possibly be people in the run even late at night. For me the biggest issue was always just getting into Ginnie. Some nights you drive right in and they let you through. Some nights nobody's around to let you in or they give you a song and dance about not being able to let divers in at night. I believe that may be resolved now, but about 4 or 5 years ago it was a crapshoot if you'd easily get in or not. Its partly why I don't get an annual pass anymore. The two best parts was skipping the waivers and going anytime you wanted. When it got to be a headache going, there wasn't a reason to drop the money on a pass.
There are also a group of locals that do a weekday night dive together.

Agreed. I got into cave diving to the point where I wanted an annual pass right around the time they started playing games with access at night, whether or not your buddy was present at sign-in (a lot of times I'd meet people who lived in different states, or different parts of Florida, and we wouldn't arrive at the same exact moment), etc. so I never got one.

Now with the price and restrictions, Ginnie isn't worth having a pass for (to me personally)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom