Gilboa New Years Day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How was the diving on January 1, 2003 at Gilboa. I'm still in Seattle till tomorrow. I wish I could have been there to dive today. I was there January 1st in 2000 & 2001. But it would have been more fun to dive with Uncle Pug & Shane if I had time for diving on this trip to Seattle.

Deb

dgreatlakesdivr once bubbled...
How was the diving on January 1, 2003 at Gilboa. I'm still in Seattle till tomorrow. I wish I could have been there to dive today. I was there January 1st in 2000 & 2001. But it would have been more fun to dive with Uncle Pug & Shane if I had time for diving on this trip to Seattle.

Deb

We had a Wintry mix in the morning with some freezing rain. The group still got in a dive or two and enjoyed a mean bowl of chili (or two)!

About 70 divers were at Gilboa for the New Years plunge.

Water temp around 42° and air temp was around 30° with 10-20kt wind.

Since I was "volunteered" by the team to do up the dive report, here it is. If I leave out any details, feel free to add to this. It was hinted at that the team would like to see more than a few sentences of the days events so here it is.

Dive report from the pow-wow at Gilboa on January 1st.
Big O and I arrived around 10am and had a pleasant time getting to know each other. While we waited for CWB, Scott and Kelly, Big O and I decided to spend the time waiting for the rest of the team...underwater. Water temp was a balmy 38 degrees with air temp at 42. Vis was reported at 100'; however, within a few minutes into the dive, Big-O and I hit a wall of silt (vis went to about 20") and had to modify our pre-dive plan by going around it and taking a nice leisurely stroll around the quarry. Dive time 35minutes.

Upon breaking the surface, Big-O and I noticed several EMS vehicles and our first assumption was that the Rescue teams were also joining the New Years Day dive festivities. Unfortunately we were wrong. The wall of silt that Big-O and I hit was from a diver that had problems. Good news thou as we find out the diver was going to be alright. Heck of a way to start off the new year.

Upon doffing the gear we went up to the air fill area and met up with CWB, Scott and shortly thereafter, Kelly. Kelly came from Pittsburg which is roughly a 5 hour drive. My impression of Kelly doing that was that if someone was going to make that kind of a drive there must be quite a motivation to dive with this team (CWB,Big-O and Scott)and that they must be really good divers, my impression was dead on accurate.

After spending our surface interval downing some well needed chili and getting to know everyone better, it was time to get wet again. Big-O decided to warm up a bit and might have been considered the smartest of all of us. The wind was kicking up and it was getting...shall I say...brisk!

Second dive was with CWB,Scott and Kelly. CWB had his camera, or shall I say that I had it at the beginning of the dive ( no worry CWB, you didn't give it to a stranger that swam off with it). We had another really nice dive with CWB doing his best at emulating Steven Speilberg. (I'd like to see the pictures when developed). The team dove in 2 x 2 formation and as I was in the back with Kelly, it gave me a chance to observe CWB and Scott and their diving ability. We meandered over to the plane, noticed the Christmas tree that will be removed this coming Saturday then made our way back.

I had some problems with my exhaust not venting fast enough (might have had something to do with all the layers I was wearing:) )and thus signaled to Kelly that I was going to begin my ascent. While that was going on CWB and Scott were working on drills. Wish I could've joined them for that but had a small annoyance to deal with. Hung out in the area for Kelly and we swam in together. Looking at my log entry my dive ended at 35minutes with the rest of the team spending a little more time on their dive.

Overall, I want to extend a great appreaction to the team of CWB,Big-O, Scott and Kelly for allowing me the honor to dive with them all. Each one of them in the team was very skilled and I got a very warm welcome from them all. I had a wonderful time and learned quite a bit just by observing their diving ability. I know that when there is a team that dives together frequently, there are dynamics already established and a new element can throw off those team dynamics. That wasn't the case, (or they hid it well :D) They dove very well with the addition of a new element (me).

On a personal note, my approach to anything I do is to hang out with people that are much more skilled and are where I want to be as far as skill level. My time with the team was very well invested as each one of them was very skilled and extremely courteous. This team reminded me of my dir/f instructors. (which is intended as a compliment for those that may not understand the reference)

Thank you again CWB,Big-O Scott and Kelly( I still am impressed that you drove that far to dive in a quarry!)

Best Regards
Don Costanza

dcostanza once bubbled...
Since I was "volunteered" by the team to do up the dive report, here it is. If I leave out any details, feel free to add to this. It was hinted at that the team would like to see more than a few sentences of the days events so here it is.
Best Regards
Don Costanza

Holy Cow Don... who did you dive with yesterday? Obviously it was with a different group than the one I was with?!? With me bumbling with that camera (and it's recovery!) and Scott & I trying to find a lost buddy that was hovering right above us with ear problems, we were anything but smooth.

...but your right, Kelly is a very dedicated & good diver. She'll go to great lengths to spend some time in the water, and we appreciate her company and dive skills.

It was great to meet up with you and I hope due to your proximity that we can make frequent dives during the next year. Scott and I are there quite often, and you're welcome to join us anytime.

wb

CWB,
"With me bumbling with that camera (and it's recovery!) and Scott & I trying to find a lost buddy that was hovering right above us with ear problems, we were anything but smooth."
From my perspective as I observed your drills towards the end of the dive, I was impressed.

:DThe camera issue...well..I just thought it was funny after you told the story at the end of the dive. Especially since Kelly and I had the same suits. I didn't see that as anything unusual and didn't even think of it. (Actually I didn't want to publicly spotlight the errors...but since you brought it up...:D )

I knew where Kelly was at the entire time, she wasn't lost:) That's why I was hanging back. I kept an eye on her the entire time checking on her every few seconds. Granted, I didn't know she had ear problems ( that was an error on my part) but I was there within close proximity.

Thanks for the invite to dive with you and Scott again. I'd like to take you up on it. When are you planning on being there again?

Best Regards
Don

dcostanza once bubbled...

Thanks for the invite to dive with you and Scott again. I'd like to take you up on it. When are you planning on being there again?

Best Regards
Don

Don,
I'll be there this Saturday Jan 4th.

I haven't solidified any details with Scott yet, but there may also be a gentleman from Michigan I've dove with a couple of times (Jack), and just rec'd an email from the Cave Instructor in Kokomo I mentioned to you (Tim) saying that he'd be there on Saturday.

I'm sure we can work something out. Would be a pleasure to dive with you again!

wb

CWB
I was going to PM you about Tim but I guess he has already made contact with you and that you are aware he is going to be there on Saturday. You and Mike were right about him, he came across as a very nice as well as knowledgeable guy.

What time were you thinking about being there?

Best Regards
Don

Back
Top Bottom