Giant Squid Filmed Live!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Baumann

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
AP Associated Press

"TOKYO - A Japanese research team has succeeded in filming a giant squid live — possibly marking a first — and says the elusive creatures may be more plentiful than previously believed, a researcher said Friday."

"The research team, led by Tsunemi Kubodera, videotaped the giant squid at the surface as they captured it off the Ogasawara Islands south of Tokyo earlier this month. The squid, which measured about 24 feet long (7 meters), died while it was being caught."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16322895/

Maybe they will stop chasing the whales now. :wink:

Well, I understand this is in the name of research, but it would be nice to know what the goal of such a capture would be? I can not imagine that a creature that lives so deep is going to do well in captivity.

Maybe after watching Harry Potter, they wanted to play a game of squidditch. :D

I saw the story on TV and wanted to take everyone of those bast**rds and put them on a hook...

I agree, this tactic for studying this animal is barbaric. Here in the Pacific Northwestern mountains and forests, this would be like baiting Bigfoot, and ripping off one of his arms in the process of trapping him, or killing him while attempting to bring him in alive.

Some things are better left a mystery – to be studied from a distance.

Craig Baumann:
this would be like baiting Bigfoot

LOL Bigfoot.....

When I arrived in Oregon in 1973, I began studying the Bigfoot phenomenon. I also became interested in every wilderness experience here I could partake in, and since I was often in forest areas in the Cascade mountains where Bigfoot is believed to make his home, I read no fewer than 20 books on the subject to try to understand what I may be up against - what there was out there in the mountain forests which I may encounter. Three of these books were filled with firsthand accounts of people who had seen Bigfoot males, females, Bigfoot young or even entire families together. Native American culture also includes stories of the creature Northwest Indians called, saskwatch. Even law enforcement agents here have seen them. One county in Washington state, has outlawed the hunting of Bigfoot. At the base of Mt. St. Helens 70 miles from Portland in the south central part of Washington state is an area called Ape Canyon, after its many Bigfoot sightings.

The more I read, and especially the more time I spend in the mountains here, the more I become convinced Bigfoot is real. There are literally thousands of square miles in Oregon and Washington state alone, that are seldom visited by humans were small groups of Bigfoot could live. Some sightings occurred a mere 20 miles from downtown Portland, rural farmland into which these creatures sometime mistakenly wonder.

Today around the world (Bigfoot is not simply confined to the mountains of N. California, Oregon, Washington state and British Columbia) sightings average one per week.

Back
Top Bottom