GI bill and SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's 28 days per. I'll only be able to do trimix because I'll be more than halfway through with the remaining so calculate that out.

Hi everyone! I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I'm furtively searching for an answer and coming up empty.
I'm wanting to use my Gi Bill to go through the "0-Hero" year long training with a PADI certified training facility. I see that the Gi Bill covers training, but apparently ONLY for the US and PI.
This place is in NZ, and now it looks like there's nothing that can be done.
I'm heartbroken because I'd talked with the training rep/owner, and we were excited a the prospect of my attending for 2023 (plus I'd actually be able to see my fiance' while I'm there - he lives there).

Am I correct that there's no hope?
Thank you for your time.

Correct. I don't know if SDI reimbursement is also US only or not.

With that said zero to hero is a very bad idea and actually outright dangerous.

Correct. I don't know if SDI reimbursement is also US only or not.

With that said zero to hero is a very bad idea and actually outright dangerous.
Agreed, I believe one should have at least a couple hundred dives under their belt before considering becoming an instructor.

I understand what you guys are saying, this course is a year long, and you do well over 100+ dives.
They don't "just power through" sections and leave you to it, if they did, I wouldn't even be looking into this. I have been diving since 2005, but due to some complications with my certs never being sent it (because of a shady instructor), I have had to start at the beginning and ensure this time my certs are sent in and verifiable.
I apologize for the confusion, and I do thank you for the concern.

How many dives do you have? If your certs never got sent in?

How many dives do you have? If your certs never got sent in?
When I started back in 2005 (in Bahrain), I had 45, it wasn't until I was transferring duty stations, I found out my OW and AOW certs were never sent in.
Now that I am retired, I figured I would "start from scratch" and go back to the basics (which was good because it had been so long since I had done any diving). I now have 23 confirmed logged dives, and I am OW (PADI), AA (SSI), and NITROX (SDI), and am working on the elearning for the other specialties I did while on a live aboard recently.

Back
Top Bottom